hard to start

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jeffw51, Mar 14, 2008.

1. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i have a 1970 115 johnson it runs great but it is hard as hell to start ,sometimes i even have to use starter fluid ?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bubba ain't gonna like you using starting fluid:eek:oooh:

Done any other maintenance?

3. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Is your choke selonoid working Jeff, I would guess it's got an eletric choke.

4. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have a 74 85 hp that is the same way mine has low compression so do a comp check

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Starting fluid is BAD for an outboard. You'll probably get a small lecture from Bubbakat. LOL Sounds like it may be a choke problem. There are 3 positions your choke switch can be in... off, manual and automatic. I always leave mine in the automatic setting. Its easy to accidentally turn the darn thing off. Could be a problem in the carbs and fuel line. First step in trouble shooting is the mentioned compression check, second check is for spark. If you don't have access to one, and can afford to have about $30.00 laying around until you develop motor problems, I recommend you get one. A spark tester at an auto parts store runs about $7.50. You should have a good strong blue spark that will jump 7/16". Cheaper spark tester is to lick your fingers and grab the plug as the motors turned. You'll beat feet to an auto parts store after just one test. LOL Also, there is an adjustment in the manuals for your cold start lever, this could be out of adjustment. So, old advice, get a manual for your particular motor and preform all the adjustments it lists. You'll have a better season.