Hard to plane

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by jsharper, Dec 2, 2005.

1. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I need info. This forum seems to be a gold mine. I have a 16' flatbottom with a 25hp. tiller. When I am by myself, the bow is coming out of the water too high. I can only adjust the motor to the middle hole the way it is mounted. It has whale fins installed. Do I need to shim the motor to adjust it down farther or can I adjust the fins or just redistribute the weight? Any help is appreciated.

Jim

2. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I'd try moving weight forward first.

3. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I think something is wrong. What do you mean the way it is mounted?? I used my dad's 16' flatbottom jon tiler with a 25hp merc for several years before I got my boat and with two 6 gal tanks full, a battery and my fat butt all in the back with very little weight in the front it planes very quickly. Very little rise.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    ive found with most of the tiller boats if they wont plane out right is just shift all the weight forward. the dole fin helps too. as far as shiming something i dont think id do that. my bassboat i have to change the trim on it at different speeds at wot if i trim up a bit it gets my bow down a bit more and i pickup about 4 or 5 mph more but at slow speeds it will ride bow high till i trim it down

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    My name's Bob. What's your's?

When you say "the way it's mounted" that leaves a little to the imagination.

If your dolfin isn't in line to the bottom of the hull, then it's mounted wrong.

If it is, then I suspect mechanical difficulty.

My 16' Jon-boat will run at 30 mph with two and a heavy load, pushed by an older 25 merc. This was witnessed by Mike Hardee (Cattail), on Sutton Lake.

6. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Sorry I didn't clarify on the mounting. I think the motor is mounted correctly. Bolted onto the transom and centered. The motor runs well and the boat has plenty of speed, just hard to plane out with just me in the boat. The motor has 5 holes to put the pin in to adjust the tilt. Below the middle hole, the motor hits the boat. I was thinking of putting metal shims between the transom and motor, like washers on the bolts, to fix this. The transom has a 3/8 steel plate on the inside of the boat. Probably the weight distribution is my problem. Everything in the back and no weight on front. I think I will work on that end of things.

Thanks to all,
    Jim

7. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    steering side to side gently might also help you plane out

8. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    The steel plate on the transom is 3/16, not 3/8 inch. Thanks for the help.
    Jim

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Throw a 100 pound bag of sand in the front and see if it dont act more balanced.

10. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    My 14' with a 25hp would rise sharply on the bow at low speeds and took a while to get on plane. The problem was gone when I installed a 1/2" plywood floor to get some weight forward.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The bottom hole should give you the best holeshot but I can't figure out why it hits the boat.There should be something there to prevent that but it has been a long time since my tiller steering days.Try the weight forward before doing any drastic work and keep everyone informed if you need further help.

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    do you have the correct motor on your boat. long or short shafted motors make a big difference an could be a major problem if not the right one. either way it sounds like you need to get it trimed down more. shure a bag of sand might fix it too buti wouldnt want a trip hasord in my boat expecualy fishin winter months. might end up on a swim i dont want :eek:

13. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I haven't had the boat out since I posted this, I need to take a look what is keeping the motor from going past the middle hole. It is a 25hp Johnson short shaft. The boat is a gov't model Nova made for the Navy or so I am told. I'lltake my13 yr old and have him sit in the front and see if that helps.
    Thanks for all the input.
    Jim

14. srjones

srjones New Member

State:
    midwest city, ok
    I've got a 16' flat bottom jon myself w/ 15hp Honda, and it'll get up and run about 25-30 mph. When I go out alone it takes it a little to plane out. When I take my two boys (5&7) with me I have them sit in the floor in the front and it gets down really quick. That's all it is, all of the wieght in the back and none in the front. When I'm by myself I just load all of my tackle and everything else in the front to help out.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    When I am in my boat I have to make sure the motor is trimmed all the way down on a holeshot. If its not trimmed down all the way you will know in a hurry. I am sure if you trim it all the way down it will do better, I am not sure how it will do as far as planing after that since you cant adjust it during the run.

16. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to have some planning problems also. If you fish with an anchor put up front and other items that you need on your trips. I tried not to add un-needed weight to my boat, but re-arrange your existing weight.Example 1 of my river tackle boxes weighs 45 lbs by itself when full of 4-8oz sinkers! I dont understand why the dol-pin didnt work, I have had great results with those in the past. Make sure your motors cavitation plate is pretty close to the bottom level of your boat also. Hope you get your problem resolved.:smile2:

17. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Maybe a small jackplate would solve your problem. Throwing weight is only a temporary fix, it sounds like it needs to be trimmed down a tad bit more. Those holes are made for that adjustment specifically and it sounds like its mounted in the right spot it just needs to be able to go on down. I don't know if you've got the things to build one with but it can be built pretty easily if you can get the measurements from someone that knows...... I think Bobpaul might know a little something about them.

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    After reading this again and again, it just seems like your locked into the shallow water trim position. I can't visualize any reason you can't get down past the third hole otherwise.

19. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    If all else fails, you could try adding a hydrofoil. They are not expensive, and do get you on plane quicker.
    Good luck,:0a26:

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    By now I would have flipped that sucker over and found out how much hook was in the hull.