Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just seeing if any of you had any advice on bait...I've been having an extremely hard time catching bait...I don't have access to a boat and the only place I have been able to find is down by the Badin/Tuckertown dam and when they have the water running good there, there is no way my net will catch anything and it seems like every time I drive down there they always have it going (its about a 45 minute drive from my house which is painful when it produces no bait.)

Anyways...getting pretty desperate here would even go for a place I can buy bait. Any help on where/how to catch some good bait or even a good place to buy live baitfish (not little tiny minnows) would be GREATLY appreciated...bout to pull my hair out over here! Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
"...I've been having an extremely hard time catching bait..."

Bream are all over the banks right now in shallow water and should be very easy to catch on redworms under a bobber. You have to catch them during the daylight, because they are nearly impossible to catch once it gets dark.
couldnt have said it better!!! try some bream (the other white meat) lol good luck man

·
Registered
225 Posts
"...I've been having an extremely hard time catching bait..."

Bream are all over the banks right now in shallow water and should be very easy to catch on redworms under a bobber. You have to catch them during the daylight, because they are nearly impossible to catch once it gets dark.
Its because they are all off running for their lives from the flatheads :)

Also look in small streams that run all over this state. You will be astonished at how many green sunfish and chubs a little creek can hold. Also, they hardly ever get fished and they will bite eagerly. Be sneaky like you are fishing a small trout stream, and you will have bait coming out of your ears in no time.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Agree with the above....I usually look for any structure (brushpile, rocks, weeds, overhangs, etc) as close to the bank as possible....the bream should be there. I've found that in bigger bodies of water the fish bunch up, so sometimes I have to move around a couple of times until I find one fish. But once you find one, you can usually load the cooler in that one spot. Also, as one said above, small creeks and ponds can definitely cut down your search time if you have access to them.
And the stealth thing is really important....most of the time these fish are literally a foot off the bank so they're very in tune with vibrations from someone walking by. If I'm fishing off the bank I try to stay a little ways from the fish and cast parallel to the bank. I always have good luck with redworms, but crickets work when nothing else will.
As for shad, they've been very hit or miss for me lately. I've been catching some big gizzard shad here and there in shallow water, but mostly in the early morning/late evening. Haven't been catching many threadfin or bluebacks, but the few I have caught have came out of deeper water. If anyone has any other tips/shortcuts for catching shad this time of year I'd love to know.
Hopefully this helps a little....I know alot of it is stuff you probably already know, but I can't count the number of times my catfishing trips have turned into bait catching trips, haha. Good luck and tight lines

·
Registered
343 Posts
Before I learned to throw a castnet I would buy frozen shad at these two places.

Tillery Sportsman, 983-4707, $2.99 for 6 medium frozen shad
Mon thru Sat. 6-9, Sun. 7-8
on 24/27 on right before Tillery lake.

Citgo, Express Mart II, Badin, 422-3599, $2.99 for 6 or 7 medium frozen shad
Mon thru Sat. 6-10, Sun. 7-10
next to Alcoa Landing

I would try fishing for bream with worms first; cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.