Hard steering

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Creek6, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    This morning when I went duck hunting the temp was 7 degrees. When I got the boat in the water the steering on my Merc 115 was locked up to the extent that the motor would not turn.

Back at went home I placed a heater on it, and thawed it and it seemed to work fine. I shot some grease in it and only forced a very small amount of water out. After I let it set for awhile it locked up again. Has anyone experienced this with their steering? Any ideas for a fix.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep that is a common thing when a boat is left outside in the weather where most of us have to leave them. Those cables will get water in them and when its cold like that I have seen certain types of grease freeze.

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Mine seems to be frozen at the steering wheel. It had a noise there last week and I am going to check mine this afternoon.
    I am hoping it has a grease fitting and is an easy fix.

4. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    I took the steering cable out of the cylinder and discovered water that was freezing. I cleaned it up coated everything in new grease and put it back together. Its fine now and it only took about 20 minutes. I think the water got in the cylinder by pressure washing.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That could very well be how it got in there. Thanks for the follow up and glad you got her fixed.