Hard Starting In The Water

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by glenmorebuckman, May 28, 2007.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    A friend of mine has an Evinrude 40 horse that he says starts real easy on the muffs but is hard as heck to start in the water. He says that if he starts it at home on the muffs and lets it warm up and then takes it to the lake it starts as soon as he hits the key. If he takes it straight to the lake without the warmup, he has to crank and crank to get it to start. Any ideas? I've never heard of this problem before.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    And this 40 hp would be what year?

3. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Whoops, sorry!! It's an 84.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Next question, when was the last time it had a good check out and plugs changed?

Compression and spark checked?

How old is the gas?

BTW, a cold engine likes alot of gas to get started, especially when it's in the water, and there's back pressure. The danged thing will run on one cylinder settin' there at the house.

Has it set up for any length of time?

5. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    I'm not able to check the spark and compression for him because he lives quite a long distance from me and he's not in good enough shape to work on it himself so he'll probably have to take it to a shop. I was just interested in what could cause this. He doesn't use it but maybe 2-3 times a year so it could be about anything.Thanks for your help!

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your right, it could be just about anything, and from how he uses it, I'm thinking, fuel related.