Hard Starting 70hp Evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by miichael, Apr 30, 2007.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys i got a problem with starting my 1974 70hp evinrude. It runs GREAT idles perfect takes throttle good and jumps out of the hole great no bogging or anything. problem is starting it! My electric choke solenoid is bad so i unhooked it. i have the manual choke on it. When i get to lake i pump my bulb and choke it. after turning it over a few times it fires right up then dies quick if i dont have someone there just waiting to push choke in. If it dies before i get the choke pushed in then it floods the engine out. and even after driving it up the lake for 20 minutes i turn it off and go to crank it up and it will fire right up and die first thing. I have warm up level iv tried cranking it back after its warm with warm up level up and with it down it cranks for a sec and dies. have to choke it and start it again. Most boats once there warm they will just fire up no choke. what could be my problem since it runs great once its running?

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    its got new stator, new powerpack, and new rectifier. i havent rebuilt the carbs since iv had it. i checked the coils all are firing. like i say runs GREAT but hard to start.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    sounds like its time for a new choke and a carb rebuild. Could be lots of things though.

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    cant buy a new choke solenoid for it. They dont sell them anywhere unless i find a used one.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    what is the part number on the broken one, I'm sure there are some out there.

6. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Part# 0386675 SOLENOID ASSY

But still manual choke and electric choke its same thing. i dont mind using the manual choke theres something else wrong. engine should crank back after you been running it with no choke. i dont believe choke is problem.