Hard starting 50 hp Mercury Outboard Motor

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Cattracker16, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I bought a brand new 05 16' tracker this last year w/ a 50 hp merc on it.. it seems like i am having trouble getting it started back up after sitting awhile and catfishing.. routine is backed in water pump the bulb til hard.. crank on engine w/ partial throttle maybe 1/4 if even til she fires and is running good. take her out and warm her up waiting on wife.. head down river to fishing hole.. fish for a couple hourz til bored or fish stop biting.. here's where i have the problem getting it fired back up. i always thought it should fire back up w/out hitting the throttle and choke again.. but it don't usually have to give it throttle and then choke it again to get her going.. am i missing something or not doing something right? i had it checked out at boat dealer they say i need to find the "sweet" spot for starting it up??? any ideas.. fyi.. non fuel injected Thanks in advance.. kenny

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm curious about a couple of things: Has the motor always done this way, what does the owner's manual say about starting? Do you have electric start? Usually with electric start, you don't have to move the throttle at all, just maybe engage the choke when the engine is cold. I don't buy the 'sweet spot' bit, either, coming from the dealer. Something must be amiss. I have a yamaha, but after initial cold starting, I never have to use the choke again all day, no matter how cold, or how long I've been sitting idle.
    I'm sure there are others on here with the same motor who can help you out, I just get a little upset when a dealer tells somebody something like 'sweet spot'. To me they're just saying they don't know, either.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sounds as if you are getting the run around, you should find another mechanic who actually knows something.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Tell me about your gas.

How old is it?

Did the boat set for any length of time and not have a full tank?

Are you using stabilizer?

Is the dealership starting your engine on the hose or in the water?

And finally, Whoever mentioned a sweet spot is an idiot!

5. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    well the boat and motor were brand spanking new in may.. i have not run it this winter at all.. but it has been like that from the gitgo.. i'm not sure i will take anything to the boat dealer after they tell me it's me and i have to find that sweet spot where it will just fire up.. it is a 2 stroke motor don't know if that makes any diffrence or not.. the boat never sat in the summer for longer than 2 weeks, atleast every weekend i took it out fishing and i put reg gas in it not ethel.. does that have anything to do with it? i did put some fuel stabilizer in it for winter storage. they did turn up the idle for me hoping that will help.. if not i guess i'll have to find that "sweet spot" LOL sweet spot = better boat mechanic.. boat dealer was using a hose

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I have a 2001 Mercury 125 hp that does the same thing as your 50 hp, it will start up fine at the ramp run down the river anchor down at the first spot maybe let it sit for less than an hour, try to start it and it will crank and crank like 15 seconds then I'll choke it and it will light up,engine runs great no misses never sputters, just seems like it is hard to start, dealer told me it was "The nature of the Beast", I had a 50 Horse Johnson that I just touched the key and it fired. Have never been able to get it resolved, I change the plugs in it in January of every year along with the gas filter, normally it takes 15 seconds of crankin before it lites up, but I deal with it and it has never left me on the river, do I get worried, yep sometimes I wonder if it is going to lite but it always does, maybe Bob will have a trick we both can use.......Doc

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yrs ago I heard a story about how Merc were faster than johnson/Evinrude's of the same HP, but from starting to the finish line, Mercs would always loose because of their hard starting.

Sorry, I've got no tricks to fix the issue. Don't wear out your starter. A slight choke after sitting for some time sounds like the answer.

One other thought is to let it idle for a minute or two before shutting down, or if you tilt the engine, allowing just that little bit of gas to seep out the carb vents. Be sure to pump the primer bulb to be sure your carb bowls are full before hitting the key.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i was just wodering if you where tilting the motor up while fishing. i am no mech. but i was i told that when you trim a merc. up it dumps the carbs. where i dont know. ive always had mercs. because i think they start better but all makes have problems. my dad bought a new 2003 merc. 225hp that came from the factory with the fuel injection wires crossed. it took 6 months to figure out the problem. finnally a factory rep came down and fixed the problem. my dad took it back to the dealer several times telling them something was wrong. they hooked it up to the computer and said no problem. so dad and i took it to the lake and figure it must have a bad plug. so we took two wires off and the motor run the same as it did with them on.

9. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    when i fish i always leave the lower unit in the water it helps keep the back of the boat alittle bit steady in the current.. i'll have to see if pumping the primer bulb will help when i get it out this spring. my thinking was that the primer bulb one way valve was leaking down just enough.. as far as letting it idle b4 shutting it down i usually do let it idle so i can get the anchor in the right spot.. i go above the spot i wanna fish and stab it into neurtral and let it idle and have my fish partner toss out the anchor.. i usually let it idle just incase the anchor don't hold.. but i'll check into the things mentioned on here as soon as it warms enough for my blood to pump or when cabin fever sets in so bad i jus gotta go.. Thanks again kenny

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have a older 115 merc that does the samething. I have rebiult the carbs, the whole deal. I even tryed using my trim to tilt the motor down more to have the gas stay in the carb. (thinking it was leaking out) No go.
    I had a mech. look @ it and he said thats a merc. COLD BLOODED.
    So When it is time to move after and hour I give it gas and choke it. If it does not start I pump the gas bulb and off we go.
    Bill:)

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Let me ask you this. Have you changed the plugs since the break in peroid?
    Sometimes during break in the plugs will gather junk from out of the engine and won't let them fire as hot as they should.
    If you haven't, take them out and clean them.
    Just a thought here.

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    My '05 90hp merc does basicaly the same thing. when i start it up cold i have to let it idle for a while before it will even come off the trailer! untill its warm it won't pull the boats weight!

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've only owned 1 mercury, a 9.9 I had many years ago. I always cranked it before I left home. If it cranked then, it would crank at the river, but I never knew whether it would fire up or not until I checked it. Sometimes it just plain would not start. I finally got rid of that motor and have never owned another mercury. Just left a bad taste in my mouth I guess, although I have nothing against the mercs or any other brand..lots of my friends run mercury and like them. I've owned OMC's, Mariners, and Yamahas and have had no significant problems with any of them. I did have an old wizard once that ran a close 2nd to the mercury for problems.
    Like some of you posted, maybe it's just the nature of some of the mercs to be cold-blooded. My yamaha has to spin over for a couple of seconds when it is cold-started, but after that it usually starts instantly all day long. My 15 mariner usually starts on the 1st or 2nd pull, no matter what, but my 15 johnson sometimes wants to shut off with me until it warms up real good.
    It's no big deal to hit the choke again if that's what it takes to start your engine; good luck with the 'sweet spot'. LOL

14. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    well id say find a mechanic sot a idiot that says find the sweet spot. i only run mers wont own any other engine had my fills of troubles with other brands. i am running a 60 2 stroke right now it can sit for a month hit the water choke it less then 3 seconds its ideling if i anchor let it sit dont matter engine up or down couple of seconds its ideling always fires right off only time it did what your talking about is with bad plugs. on another merc i had after it sat for a while it would crank and crank hit the bulb it would fire everytime i replaced the bulb which turned out to be the problem. check that ive seen them bad from the gitgo too

15. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    My '88 60HP Merc does the same thing. To start it in the morning, I've got to put the throttle lever 1/3 the way up, choke it and hold the choke in for about 10-15 seconds after it fires.

If I stop the motor for more than 5 minutes, I have to raise the throttle lever a little and choke the motor for it to start. I've changed plugs, cleaned carbs, adjusted mixture & ... that's just what I have to do to start it.

An inconvenience but you do what you have to do.

16. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    My 2005 90hp mercury elpto has the similar issue. I've talked to several different mercury mechanics and they said its fine. It just a little onery. I had the same concerns but they assured me not to worry. Mine only does it if i let it sit til it gets cold or when i first start it. After its run for a minute with the throttle up a hair then lower it back down and its fine. After i ran mine all this year i'm not to concerned with it now. As long as it gets me to the fish and back without acting up i'll remain a happy camper. I'm more concerned if the fish are biting now............

17. Huetter2000

Huetter2000 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    this is my first reply. so here i go. i have the same 2005 tracker pro guide 16 w/50 hp merc. i too have same symtoms. i bought my boat back in apr 05. if i used hose in drive way would start first time no choke. but take to ramp and would have hard time starting. after starting it would smoke like fogging mosqitos. so i idle down river till stop smoking. after i stop and either get bored or no fish. i would have to prime bulb again then would seem to start better then to not pump bulb. i was told to add extra bottle of 2 cycle oil in first tank of gas i think i may have had some of that oil in gas as to why it smoked. and was hard starting. but will find out this yr

18. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Thats a merc!!!

I use a fuel separator and I removed the oil injector and mix the fuel myself. I also use a mid grade gas with no alcohol and then add a bottle of Sea-foam marine gas additive. I also clean my plugs 2-3 times a year.

19. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    One thing that you might try is a low pressure electric fuel pump to replace or supplement the Bulb.

20. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    id check the bulb for leak down and the fuel ump for proper pressure. any of the engines will start and run beter if there is no leak down of fuel and no loss of pressure at the pump. fired my merc up today been sitting due to a few issues going on here pumped up the ball push in the key fired right off. check the basics first.