Hard homework question (for me anyways)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Oct 25, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    my son 10 brought home a page tonite and he did all the questions but the last one and asked me how to figure it out.
    i am usually fairly good at some of the hard ones he has but this one really stumped me and although i got the answer from ask jeeves i would like
    for some of you members to see if you can figure this out without asking jeeves LOL or any other search engine. i cant see the formula they use
    to get to the answer without a lot of scratch paper figureing. maybe thats what the question was for was to make them dig and search through figureing with multiplication and division.

heres the question......Sarim has $1 in coins. one-fifth of the coins are dimes, two-fifteenths are nickels, and two-thirds are pennies. how many of each coin does he have.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

He has a dollar, thats all that matter's, lol

My guess, off the top of my head, and most likely wrong would be 35 pennies 7 nickles and 3 dimes

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    3-dimes
    3-nickles
    55-pennies
    Man I hope this is right, LOL!!!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

5. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    6 dimes, 4 nickels and 20 pennies!

6. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    it is 3/15 plus 2/15 plus 10/15. so if you double them all, 6, 4 and 20. that equals $1. I dont know any better way to explain it.
    Its the whole common denominator thing! you have to find a common denominator and go from there!

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    6 dimes 4 nickles and 20 pennies. You have to get all the denominators of the fractions the same. First just get them all to 15 since that is the biggest and the others can multiply into it. Once you multiply the numerators by the amout you had to to get the denominators to 15 then add the numerators all up. You only get 50. So this tells you that you need to multiply by 2 to end up at 100. So all together he had 30 coins in his hand. I also have a 10 year old. lol.

8. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    2 dimes
    3 nickles
    65 nickles

That right???

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    stan and jason you guys are right i think.
    at least the explaination of the denominator makes sense .
    now i got to do it long hand to see for myself before i can convince my son that it is correct. he has to show the work not just the answer.
    heres what jeeves came up with

Question 39808
    Submitted on 9/26/2003
    Sarim has $1 in coins. one-fifth of the coins are dimes, two-fifteenths are nickels, and two-thirds are pennies. how many of each coin does he have.
    Solution 39808
    The first thing I would do to solve this problem is to make sure that I have fractions with the same denominators.
    2/15 of the coins are nickels.
    1/5 of the coins are dimes.
    1/5 = 3/15
    2/3 of the coins are pennies.
    2/3 = 10/15
    Now I am going to make an assumption. Let's assume that there are 15 total coins (from the fact that each fraction now has a denominator of 15).
    This would mean...
    2 nickels = 0.10 cents
    3 dimes = 0.30 cents
    10 pennies = 0.10 cents
    Add up those values and you only get 50 cents. We have to havea total of $1.
    Next, let's assume that there are 30 coins (the next multiple of 15).
    2/15 = 4/30
    4 nickels = 0.20 cents
    3/15 = 6/30
    6 dimes = 0.60 cents
    10/15 = 20/30
    20 pennies = 0.20 cents
    Add up those values and you get a total of one dollar.
    Sarim has 4 nickels, 6 dimes, and 20 pennies.

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    did you guys catch the top of the answer i posted????
    it was submitted in 2003 LOL the same test must have been given and stumped someone else. i felt better when i seen that HAHAHAHA

11. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    In 2003 you could get 2 cups of coffee at the mini mart, today it will take you 92 cents for just one. You only have 8 cents left from that same dollar at todays rates and one cup of coffee less.

12. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Darryl, I didnt catch that until you pointed it out:lol: . Thats a tough question for a 10 yr old. I have more trouble with my 12 yr old sons english homework than anything! And I speak english!!:lol:
    Thanks for the post, great question!

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    thats what i got. i just did the math from 100 cents.
    the big number the pennies it says is
    2/3. 2/3 0f a dollar is 66 cents so 66 pennies. next the dimes is 1/5. 1/5 of a dollar is 20 cents, so 2 dimes. you now have 2/3 of the answer so now you add 66 + 20 n you have 86 cents. so you need 3 nickles which will make $1.01, just take off a penny. 65 pennies is still roughly 2/3 of a dollar. so if you still want to do the nickles, it says 2/15 are nickles. we know that 1/5 of a dollar is 20 cents, and 1/15 is the same as 1/5 divided by 3 which is 6.66666, so 2/15 would be 3.33333, so 3 nickles.

14. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    slimepig that sure looks like it adds up to me but so does the way
    stan and jason explained it too.
    i know why i hated math now wayyyy tooo much thinking involved:tounge_out:

thanks to all these responses though.

15. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ahhhh my bad. its not the fraction of a dollar, its the fraction of coins. lol in my answer there are 70 coins. 65 pennies would be 92% of the coins. dang! buy me books, send me ta school, n what did i do? LOL

16. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    wow i was way off

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I aint read all answers.
    Easy stuff.
    Sarim has $1 in coins. one-fifth of the coins are dimes, two-fifteenths are nickels, and two- thirds are pennies. how many of each coin does he have, That's the answer. $1.00 worth.LMAO
    Get a calculator or a scale. LMAO

18. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    oh forget it iv got a headache now

19. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    matt on here is a math teacher where is he at?????