Harbor Freight = ToyLand

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by SubnetZero, Mar 21, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Anyone Lucky enough to have one of these stores by ya knows what I mean..
    I love this place..

They have these on Sale for $19.99, Thinking of picking up a set for the boat for nitetime navigation..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37537

Also noticed a 3pc Cast Iron Skillet set for $5.99 that looked like it would be good for Lead Melting.. They're the old style with turnout spouts on the side and are like 1-2" deep...

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey SubnetZero, we have 2 Harbor Freights here in Dayton Ohio and I agree that they are a cool place to just walk around and see all sorts of good stuff that I just cant live without. But over the last few years I have learned from buying some of there stuff that sometimes you get what you pay for and some of there stuff is pure crap. Buyer Beware and always look around and check out the stuff carefully. I bought a 10 dollar big pipe wrench that I thought, heck for 10 bucks, its a simple tool, If I use it once, I will of paid for itself, sure enough, I tried to use it and guess what, the teeth do not dig in to hold onto anything, go figure. Just one of several examples I have. I could tell you about the car jack that blew out a hydraulic seal for my brother in law and had he been under a car, it would have crushed him.
    It is a cool stuff store but you need to make sure you look at the stuff and realize it may not be of the quality you need.

Salmonid

Salmonid

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Oh I agree, they have alot of junk....
    But the several items I picked up were good enough for what I needed...

I've bought a Brad Nailer, 10'' Sliding Miter Saw, Tarps, etc.. They all have worked great and saved me a bunch of money and headaches..

My miter saw may not say Makita or Dewalt on it, but cuts everything I need it to no problem....

Though, Some of their stuff isnt even worth picking up to look at .. Super El Cheapo.. I do have a blast walking around and seeing stuff I never knew I needed to have though :p

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    we have 2 of them within 35 miles of where i live. they do have a lot of junk but they also carry some name brand stuff too at a fair price. when i bought a ezup for using when we go flying the one i wanted all the stores wanted 149 for it they had the exact same one i wanted for 99 cant beat them sometimes.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ive bought a lot of stuff from there and have bought some junk tools. some are good, some arent, just gotta know how to tell a good tool from a bad one. if your gonna buy anything that is going to have a lot of stress on it (ratchets, c-clamps, sockets, big wrenches) i wouldnt waste my time. if you do buy any hand tools keep your receipt. they do offer a lifetime warranty, just keep taking back your busted tools:D (damn free trade bs!)

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yep, I love that store. I purchased some items and they were useless. I purchased some items that was a heck of a deal. To me it is like toyland too.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Tool supply for the non professional that doesnt make a living with tools.
    I'll walk 6 more blocks, pay to park, save for 6 more months, pay 10 times as much and run over the old lady stepping off the curb to get to a Delta or Shopsmith dealer or store. I got enough junk around here, I dang sure aint paying to haul more home.

8. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yea,we have one in Springfield.I'm like a kid in a candy store when I go there.Like everyone said some stuff is good and some is not,I have gotten both but I've never had a problem returning something that wasn't up to par.

9. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    I buy name brand power tools elsewhere.Their Chicago brand brand stuff isn't real great but like you said it works for someone only needing it for occassional use.Some of their stuff isn't too bad though I do have an air compressor I bought there in the garage and it has held up pretty well.

10. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I buy a lot of their tools for where I work From HF and my reasoning behind it is, the tool is going to be stolen anyway, why should I pay top dollar to stock their garages? I have bought several thousand dollars worth of tools every year from Harbor Freight for a lot of years and seldom if ever am disappointed with their quality. I have the Dewalt tools, Jet and others but a lot of the wood work I have done is with Harbor Freight tools and I can't tell the difference when I'm working with them. I guess I could blame my mistakes on them but usually it's just me being in a hurry and to be honest I don't have the money to blow on top dollar tools all the time. Some of my wood working stuff in SSG Johnson's wood-working shop, lots of people there with more talent than me but none with more missing fingers. Get it? Wood working and missing fingers? Never mind, it's late, I'm going to bed.lol Check out the scroll sawed deer head, sweeeeet!

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Went to one the other day for Rechargeable Batteries, got a 6-4 packs for $3.99 a piece.

Also got an electric fly swater for the summer. hehehe

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i bought some of those rechargable AAA batteries, the cheaper ones, and they have been working great so far. i use them in my little radio i keep in my tackle bag. just to see how long a charge lasted i left it on one day, lasted about 48hrs.

13. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    Man if I had 48hrs. in a day I might find time to work on my honeydo list;)

14. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    We recently got one here. I bought a air cut off tool for $10.00 and it will run about 3 seconds before draining the 6 gallon tank on my 3-1/2" hp. air compressor.

15. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Although I have not or never will purchace anything from Harbor Freight, I have some friends here at work that do shop there. Sometimes the items are broken right of the box and if they are not broken they usually break after using them a time or two. Everything that I have ever seen from there seems to be junk.

16. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    If they had beer and scantily clothed ladies I would never leave that place. Its like heaven on earth.

17. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    its hard to go in there and leave with only what you came there for,alot of bargains:)