Happy Wapenstilstansdag!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sal_jr, Nov 9, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    This November 11th, when we are remembering our veterans who have served in many many wars, we ought to also remember those whose colors and governments may have been different, but still thy fought along the same line as us.

I have a catfish calendar on my wall. It lists the 11th as Veterans day, Armistice day, rememberence day, wapenstilstandasdag, and wappenstilsdan Tag. All of this means the same thing.... These other countries, much like our own know who to thank for the freedoms that we all share in democracies worldwide: Our Veterans.

Why on earth would I choose the Belgian name for the day as a thread title? Cause it reads funny, partly. But also to make the point that on this shiny blue brown ball named Earth, we only have so much room for all of the countries of the world, and in times when atrocities happen that the whole world can see, we all rise up with one voice and act. Humanity isnt under a specific flag. We're all human and the greatest percentage of us want one thing.... to see that the morals and ethics of basic human dignity are followed. To see that we all have food, shelter, water, and family- necessities that make life possible and make that life enjoyable.

This day is for Veterans here in America who have served the purpose of mantianing human dignity via force throughout the world, but it also is a day tht we ought to thank everyone else in other countries whose backs we watched and who had and continue to have our backs covered, as we keep humanity in check. Today it is the Coalition of the Willing... to our parents, grandparents and others, it was The Allies. Heck... even the French helped form this nation by defending us against the Monarchy. Good wars that are just will have more than one country standing firm. We need to thank them too.

Wether or not you the reader agree with the actions of our nation politically for the things we're doing, you all must take a moment and bow your head in silence to thank the young men and women who are out there doing the grunt work of the moral highground of humanity and stopping genocides, stopping evil leaders, and stopping and reversing the consistent and growing loss of ethics and morals that lead nations to wars. You must do so and thank your Maker for every one of them. It took tens of millions of lives to see why WWII was a necessary evil. It took millions of lives as payment to see why WWI was needed. The price for freedom is sometimes unfortunately measured in the amount of draped flags on coffins... but the payoff is the freedom to acknowledge our faults and our triumphs as humans and to do so with basic dignity restored to all.

God Bless those who have served our nation and those of our allies.

When I was in Anchorage, Alaska, 6 men and women in uniform were stepping off a plane for the first time onto US soil after their tours overseas. There was only one plane in the terminal besides theirs and it was ours. You would not believe the emotion on their faces when myself, my dad, and another man walked up to where they were, welcomed them "home", and lifted their bags from the baggage claim onto a cart for them that yet another civvy brought... serving those who served for us in a few moments and making them feel like rock stars for having taken enemy fire to prove the point of our nation.

I hope that some day you will try in whatever way you can to share your gratitude with sommeone who wears camo for a living.... my day happened to just surprisingly spring on me over on vacation. Do it and do it with respect. Take a kid and show them why they need to do it too. That lesson needs to be passed.

Thank you to anyone who served time for our freedom and be at peace, you fallen soldiers who did not come home. We all thank you worldwide for the peace you died trying to generate.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well said Sal!

Thanks to all past, present and future veterans! May God bless you.

Cheryl

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thank you Sal that was very well said brother. Freedom is not free.

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Cheryl and Splitshot,

Too many people are jaded by politics to acknowledge the fact that as we led our men from the west toward Berlin, 25 million Russians died doing the exact same thing from the east- the only difference was the lack of technology in higher weapons, and governemnt affiliation.

That is all tht kept America from having to count our losses in the millions.

It took WAY too many lives to uravel that trainwreck of a policy in Germany then!

Do we owe russia thanks for their efforts, even though we disagreed with their government? Yep- Ya know why I say that? Because at the human level... the family and friends level where reality counts and politics matter very little- Those people were still fighting for the same bottom line. My wife's grandfather was one of the russian soldiers dug out of the rubble of bombed building in Berlin by a Belgian shepherd dog. That dog made the difference between my mother in law's existence and "nothing".
    My grandfather was a 14 year old in Italy when his father came home one day from the Italian Army and told him (the oldest male of the house) to get everyone in the family and head for the hills and hide in the caves. He had to sneak out at night and steal a goat or a sheep or a bag of rice and sneak it back to the caves for the folks he was involved in protecting to eat. He took bullets at 16 years old. He watched his best friend sink in the Tiber River with half a face left when they were smuggling rice to their shortterm makeshift home in a dark cold cave, and the nazi soldiers saw em making an escape with stolen food.

Do we owe the civillians within the mess of the Axis, who chose not to be a part of something that shook the foundation of human morals any thanks for their efforts in the war? You better believe it.

So with that said, thanks for acknowledging my point.

And thanks once again of course to our American veterans as well as all veterans who fought with us for the same purpose. These men and women may not have been given the gift of a life in these United States, but we didnt fight in world wars to be known as "The United States". We fought in those wars to maintain humanity for the safe future of all.

God Bless.

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I have got to tell you Sal your post has really touched me, and brought back so many old memories of my years in the military, it wasnt a easy life but id do it again in a heartbeat if i were a young man. Thanks again Sal!!!

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Ein, Swei, tzuffa!!

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you so much for your OUTSTANDING POST I give 1000 reps for it! Wish I could officially but the board wouldn't allow it so I'll just have to hit it once!I want you to know that yesterday I was watching the Military Channel and they were showing our young men going into Bagdad and the vicious firefight they got into.The leader of the troop was screaming into his radio that he wanted bombs cause the "Other side" had them pinned down and refused to give up.Mean while it shows several F-16"s shows up and they used strafer fire but that didn't do any good,the young man screams into the radio I said I want bombs!!! The F-16 radio's back and says "Man I don't want to bomb you're too close if I drop these 5oo pound bombs,well you're just too close.The young man radio's back and says it's understood,but you must drop those bombs.
    Needless to say I had tears in my eyes.We lost 7 men that day! They willingly gave up there lives so the bunker the enemy was hiding in could be destroyed! They interviewed the F-16 pilot,he was asked by his Commanding Officer how close did you get,his Response "Sir don't ask, you don't want to know" he did however give him a videotape that all pilots are to carry that shows everything in detail.His commander took the video and watched it and told the pilot he was dismissed.Not another word was said between them.I cannot imagine the burden that man must carry the rest of his life knowing what he had to do to help those young men who were under fire until he dropped those bombs! May God give him peace,and may the 7 young men who died rest in peace.We are free because of them and everyone else who has paid the ULTIMATE PRICE! God Bless the USA!! Before I end this post I must also remember an excerpt of a funeral in which a decorated Officer presented a young widow who had two small little girls with a blue little case.She opened it and I am assuming it contained probably a purple heart but not for certain,anyway she bent down to show her little girls the medal and to explain that Daddy did not die in vain! I was deeply moved! I will help out anyone I see in uniform! And I will do it proudly!:big_smile:

8. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Fantastic post, Sal... thank you!

I thoroughly agree with you here: "Take a kid and show them why they need to do it too. That lesson needs to be passed."

Seems like alot of young people have no idea what Armistice Day is all about and that's sad.

And to this... "Thank you to anyone who served time for our freedom and be at peace, you fallen soldiers who did not come home. We all thank you worldwide for the peace you died trying to generate."

I can only add my own thanks and a big Amen!