HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY FELLOW BROTHERS AND SISTERS

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Cuz, May 25, 2008.

1. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Just thought I'd take a minute to wish everyone a very Happy and safe Memorial Day weekend.

As we all take to the rivers, streams, and lakes to enjoy God's beautifull creations, please take a minute and remember all we have today is due to the sacrifice of our Armed Service Members both past and present, dating back to the Civil War, on this our 140th Memorial Day Celebration.

On behalf of all the Gateway Cats Club members, I'd like to pass on the sincerest of heartfelt thanks for all of you that have contributed to the success and well being of this place we proudly call the United States Of America.

Please take a minute to remember all the families out there that have given of there loved ones so unselfishly to serve in the desert, some 4000 of which have given there lives to protect the freedoms we cherish. As well, remember all those from all the other conflicts that have given so much to us.

As you serve up those burgers and brats, and spend time with your loved ones, please say a nice little thank you for those that have given this freedom.

Thank You to all the United States Armed Forces Members, both past and present, for giving of yourselves unselfishly and giving pride to a nation.

HAPPYMEMORIAL DAY EVERYONE

PS. Here is a nice read on the History Of Memorial Day.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/24/MNEC10QGUN.DTL

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    My favorite part of the article.

Wong, the VFW commander, likes to recall what Gen. George Patton said at his last Memorial Day ceremony: "In my mind, we are here to thank God that men like this lived, rather than regret that they died."

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great post Cuz. I totally agree with you and second the Happy Memorial Day to all.

4. sarg

sarg New Member

State:
    Texas
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST. MY THOUGHT ARE THE NAM VETS ALONG WITH THE REST OF VET ARE FORGOTTEN AFTER THE WARS.:angry: ALL GAVE SOME AND SOME GAVE ALL. WHEN I RETURNED FROM NAM PEOPLE THROWED EGGS, TOMATO AND GOLF BALL AT US. THEN TOLD US WE WERE BABY KILLERS.

YES I AM MAD AND UPSET

JUST TO SEE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN I WORE MY VIET NAM T-SHIRT AND MY HAT SHOWING I WAS AWARD THE BRONZE STAR. SHOP IN A NUMBER OF LARGE STORE, (WILL WITH HOLD THE NAMES OF WHERE I SHOP). BUT NOT ONE PERSON OR EMPLOYEE SAID THANKS. MAYBE I EXPECT TO MUCH I DON'T KNOW. BUT IT MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH TO SEE HOW ALL VETS ARE TREATED. ALL THE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS WE SEND TO OTHER COUNTRY AND OR VA HOSPITAL ARE IN NEED OF HELP TO TREAT THE VETS. A LOT OF US HAVE SCARES YOU CAN SEE AND A LOT OF US HAVE SCARES YOU CAN'T SEE. (THE BATTLEFIELD OF THE MIND)

IN ONE OF MY DAV MAGAZINE THEY TALKED ABOUT ONE RETURNING IRAQ VET THAT HAD LOST PART OF HIS SKULL AND MORE. WAS PICTURED IN A WHELL CHAIR AND WAS AWARDED ONLY 10% DISIBILITY (WHICH IS LESS THAN $300 A MONTH TO LIVE ON)

YES I AM MAD AND UPSET WITH OUR GOVERMENT. THEY SEND US TO WAR AND THEN FORGET US. IT TOOK ME FIVE LONG YEARS BEFORE I GOT MY DISIBILITY. ALL THAT GOVREMENT RED TAPE. WE FOUGHT FOR OUR COUNTRY AND THEN HAD TO FIGHT THE GOVERMENT FOR OUR RIGHTS

GUESS I HAVE RATTLED ON ENOUGH. THANKS FOR LISTENING, JUST NEED TO VENT SOME STEAM

WELCOME HOME TO ALL MY BROTHER AND SISTERS, AND FOR THOSE THAT DID NOT MAKE IT, MY PRAYERS ARE WITH THE FAMILYS

SARG (DISABLE NAM VET)

:angry:

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I dont want to get started on the way we were treated back then. I am just gonna thank all of my fellow vererns from then and those serving now, and those that will serve in the future. May God bless.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Most probably dont know, but I grew up in a Military family as well. My Father was a nam era veteran, (Flew F4 Phantoms) and my Grandads on both sides, and even my grandma proudly served in the 2nd Big War, and the Korean War as well.

Your post is an honest one Sarg. I can only say that today, in what I witness, most folks only have the smallest hint of what you guys went through over there, but I do know a vast majority of Americans are ashamed of the way you all were treated back in the late 60's, and early 70's. I was a one year old baby then, but I'm not ashamed to offer my apologies for the shiiiiiiity treatment the soldiers received. Vietnam was an ugly war, fault by corrupt governments, bowing to political agendas. I dont claim to have been there, but what I can tell you is I have read no less than 200 books on the Vietnam War, which is an avid hobby of mine. From the early days of the French conflict, to America's involvement, to the Tet Offensive, to the fall of Saigon (now, Ho Chi Mingh City as you well know) I've read the reports on every Medal Of Honor given during the Vietnam Conflict, and I realize that for every Award given, there were 10 thousand more soldiers who didnt necessarily get an award, but should have. I can imagine the conditions that you all went through, but I cannot even begin to understand what it must have felt like to come home to worst torment from your fellow Americans then you ever received from the Viet Cong.

I can honestly say that your efforts in the jungles of Southeast Asia are sincerely appreciated in my household, and that many many millions of Americans feel shame to this day of their behaviors during those years in our history. The "traveling wall" was just in my hometown of DeSoto, MO last week, and yes I went as I always do. I have had many layovers in Washington DC where I was honored to walk the hallowed ground of Arlington National Cemetery to reflect on all that have given so much.

Your efforts in "The Nam" are appreciated my friend, and please dont ever think they are not. ALthough I wasnt of age enough to witness first hand, I try and learn about your heroics by reading the novels of your brothers you served with valiantly. "Valor, was a common virtue" are very powerfull words that explain you, and your comrades service.

Sorry to ramble, just wanted you to know your efforts were certainly not in vain.

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    My thanks and prayers are sent also..... Semper Fi, brothers..