Hang ups, i just wonder...

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by STUMPKNOCKER, May 8, 2007.

1. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i have hung and lost alot of bigger flats due to snags some i just got them more hung up before i had to break or cut my line, do yall think these fish get off or do they die, bothers me a little bit that they might die, i think that some after u eliminate one end of resistance that they might recover enough to pull there selfs out but ive yet to catch one with a hook in there mouth, but yesterday at the end of a tourny we caught a 8 pounder that looked skint up and had a hole in te otherside of his lip, he might have been a snag survivor, has anyone caught fish with old hooks in them, i know that a 7/0 circle hook would not fall out easy and would take 4evr t rust what do yall think?? during the tourny over the weekend my partner hung into a big one in the same hole i caught my monster in, he doubled over his tiger rod and moved into adowned tree deep, we tried every thing, would have put us in the money as we missed it by 1 1/2 pounds, also caught 4 pound channel along with 2 ancient bricks and an old trotline, the damaged he recieved to his lip was to much as he died in the tank.:baffle:

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Carl I think that it doesnt take as long as you think for a hook to rust out as long as you are not using stainless hooks which I dont ever recommened using. I dont think a fish get wrapped up bad enough to not get undone when the line is broke either. I with u I would hate to know that I did kill a fish cause I couldnt get him un snagged. I have had some bigguns in tourneys get hung and thought to myself maybe I can swim down there and get him unhung.LOL I would just like to get a look and some of them that get me hung but I like it when I get a biggun break me off it makes for a good story later.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think that fish will get himself lose.

4. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    pretty sure the majority get loose and the hook does rust pretty good.

I have caught some with hooks still in and a few with rusty hooks. it doesn't seem to hurt their appitite..

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That is a good question as I have wondered the same thing. I have lost a grip of big cats to stumps and underwater trees and rocks. On the other hand I have caught a few small ones that had a hook in them including a 30 pounder that had a lip sore from a hook. I think he was likely released though but he did have some scrapes on him which he may have been hung once and got loose.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've wondered about that, too. Personally, I think a lot of the cats that get me into snags are gone long before I ever break off. I think that once thy have the line snagged up pretty short, they are able to pull against that and break something or get off. I would guess, though, that there are some that get the line really wrapped up and just end up tied there, especially if they are tangled to something kind of springy (sort of like an underwater limb line). Like you, though, I also think that once we break off on our end, a lot of the fish are then eable to swim off, becasue the tension is gone.

By the way, I feel that the belief that hooks rust out quickly is a myth. Put a plain bronze hook in a bucket of water and watch it. It will be there for months. Some folks say that the hooks rust faster when they are in a fish. Again, I disagree. When a hook's isinside a fish, it doesn't contact much oxygen - so less rust. Plus, if it's in the fish for a while, the fish wraps it in tissue to protect itself.

Catfish seem to be good at getting rid of hooks, though. The tissue around the hook dies and the hook falls out, then they heal up. Some one told me once that tags don't stay in cats well for the same reason. The cats just sort of shed them.

7. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks, i hope all the ones i have hung and lost are still swimming, cause most of them were big, i am still looking for one of my circles in everyone i catch.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I think if the fish is big enough to pull into a snag with some of the monster tackle we use, more than likely they get off to fight another day.

9. barraGouda

barraGouda New Member

State:
    SC
    i think it has to do with the whole no scales thing... i think there's somethin about the skin that makes it heal up, unlike a scaled fish that relies on the scales for protection. just my $0.02