Handling the Troubles of Using LARGE live bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by fourteenfootcat, Oct 14, 2005.

1. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    Let's all admit it, there's troubles when you haul fish, or fruit for that matter, from one place to another. Some can get rotten and you have to throw them away, (or use as cut bait), some need some rejuvenation in their bones, and some just are happy swimming around doing nothing. There is where I ask you, wise anglers, what techniques or strategies have you used to keep fish alive for long period of time and/or transportation techniques.

We've seen the photos of the baitwells and that's all and well, now let's focus on how in the world does a person actually get a 1 lb carp to their favorite hole?

For me, load up the pickup with three huge blue plastic drums of river water, add carp, sucker, goldfish, what have you, and drive to the site. As soon as I get to the desination the specimens go directly into a huge goose, rubber-coated, nylon decoy bag that has a drawstring at the end of it that I can tied off to something while boat is stationary. If boat is moving, I have huge coolers filled with river water and pumps circulating water via pumps via batteries. Best I can do for now.

That's my method behind my madness. What's yours?

James

2. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mine is, fish where I caught the bait. lol

Gonna need to improvise a solution to that soon though, good post.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is why I mainly use cut bait, Less trouble!!!

4. ribsplitter

ribsplitter New Member

State:
    Kentucky, Rush
    We have a 25 gal oval shaped bait tank with a high rpm aeriator we usually put plain tap water in the livewell and treat it with bait keeper or shad keeper whichever we are using then we add some foam off to keep the suds down from the high speed aeriator . We havent had any trouble at all keeping bait with these tactics and the chemicals are very inexpensive and well worth it to me to have lively bait . We have kept shad, asian carp, bluegills ,goldfish,skippjack,and a variety of other smaller minnows alive in this set up for days.

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    we usually use a large cooler or a big rubbermaid container, make sure you dont place bait you catch into very cold water.........they will go into shock and start swimming sideways and not look very good.......im not sure how to prevent this except have the correct water temp.

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I just use cut bait, Trying to keep bait alive can be a pain. I have no trouble with gills keeping the alive.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i used to use the biggest gills i could get years ago. had bad problems in the heat of summerkeeping them alive on transport. i discovered that any gill over 4in.will do in my river. i can haul 40 in a bucket to the river with no problems,its not far though. then at river you can keep changin water or use a fish basket. hope you get your answer fourteen.

8. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    This works great, I took a 40 quart cooler, bought a "fish saver" from Wally World has great pressure and areation.
    At first I hooked a cigarette plug to it and pluged it to the cigarette lighter in the truck,I was also able to stick the cooler in the trunk of my car bith a rubber bungee over the lid and didn't loose any water.
    After getting a boat I have wired it with eye terminals that can be hooked & unhooked easily.

I have kept 7 or 8 perch and gold fish alive for 9 days at the most. There was a couple lost of those 8.

I used to keep the bait fish in a separte bucket inside the cooler, so if I ever did get some thing of eating size (nothing large) I would then have a live well to get them home with.

9. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    .....or maybe this is an old idea....

I bought a large steel horse trough, from a local hardware store for $50, that I can fit in the back of my pickup, put inside my garage in the winter, and store outdoors in the spring/summer. It has a drain where you can attach a hose for filling or aeration. I located a person who is selling his pump, heating apparatus, cooling apparatus, and filtration system from his former pond. What a find. The gentleman had to get rid of it because his new spouse hates the smell of fish, so I told him I would take that equipment off his hands and he could charge me what he thought was fair. He was reasonable. He wanted to sell me everything for $20. I gave him $100 in the end because, in actuality, the equipment was practically brand new. It was a good deal.

Now I just have to watch out for those darn possums and raccoons who would love to have a carp sandwich! :glare:

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Why james. that was very nice of you to take that equipment off his hands. LOL! Me,I use a 5 gallon bucket with a couple of them bubble boxes with air stones and an addative called slime coat. Then again I'm just dealin with a dozen or so small gills or some minnows. Thats all I need for channel cat fishin. Ya can always count on me for a ton of cut bait though. LOL!

11. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    I would Suggest BAIT TEMPERING....

Take water from the place you are fishing and add it to the bait tank making the water as close to the temp u r fishing !!!!!

Works for me... Also a bubble box is a must.

GOOD LUCK

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i use a 35 gallon bait tank with a oxygen tank to keep them living till i use them.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Aeration isnt just aeration. It's how it's aerated.

For a round or oblong baitwell the water has to circle at a certain speed depending on what you are keeping alive.
    For schooling fish you'll keep the speed at a level that induces them to school and swim stationary. Too fast they get tired and die.

Forget spray bars. they are pretty much a useless form of aeration except for the most hardy of bait.
    Spray bars inject large bubbles in the water which dissipate faster and beat the scales off your bait . You want small bubbles that stay in the water longer for better saturation.

Alot of the competitive bass fisherman have gone to oxygen aeration.

KeepAlive makes a good system so does Grayling.
    We have a member here "Doc" who I think is real knowledgeable in this area and if I'm not mistaken has used both of those bait systems.
    Maybe we can entice him to post here cause I know he does alot of livebaiting.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Thats why I use eels, I just add some water to the bait tank in my boat every day or so and they stay alive for a long time. Every once in a while one will die but I guess that how it goes.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Mark, you're absolutely right about the size of the bubbles being very important, but if you have small holes in the spray bar, the small stream of water will make smaller bubbles. The pvc on mine got broken, so I need to make up a new one; I plan to omit the drilled holes and use a spray nozzle from the sprinkler section of my local home improvement store. It will still spray back down into the water, though.

16. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    usually i put my bait on ice everyone says it just kills the bait but i even let shad sit on it with no water for three hours and they were still alive, and also lively in the water.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just a small cooler and fresh cut shad take alot of the trouble away from cattin..I catch more flatheads on cut bait than live bait also...I used to use only live bait for flats, but several years ago I strted using cut bait..For me anyway it outfishes live bait.

18. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Guys;

A trick I learned from a guide on Beaver Lake. Geat a livewell that does not have square corners,(Oval or round Only) Square cornered Livewell and shad will kill them selves running into the corners. (This is True.) Fill it with Lake or river water and 1 or 2 handfulls of Rock type SALT. Ice Cream Salt is apretty dirty so I used Water Softner or Stock Salt. Mix up good and catch your live bait, Gills, Shad or whatever and toss them in the livewell. They will stay alive and active for a very long time. The Striper fishermen over this way all use salt to keep their live bait alive and active. The Salt won't Kill em.

Just an Idea for you all:

Gene