handling larger fish (larger than eaters)

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by schoonie, Sep 8, 2008.

1. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Some of you veteran big kitty cat handlers sound off.

I recently caught a personal best 21 pound blue, personal best by about 15 pounds. Got her in the boat and realized I had no idea how to handle it for pictures prior to releasing it. Tell me where and how to grab 'em to get 'em out of the net, dehook, etc., etc.

Thanks for the wisdom.

Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

2. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    P.S. That's not so much a cheesy grin as it is a grimace. She was sticking me in the ribs. Although there was some cheesy grinnin goin' on.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    a good way to hold big blues is to hold one hand around their tail, then run your other hand down along their belly and they usually stay pretty calm like that..now real big blues (which i haven't had a whole lot of experience with yet) you see most folks giving them a bear hug or just slinging them over a shoulder. I'm waiting for a fish to throw over my shoulder still. Flatheads you can grab by the mouth, just grab tight so they don't scrape ya up to bad. but they won't clamp down on ya like a bluecat might.

4. Sultan of Slime

Sultan of Slime New Member

State:
    GA
    Just like I do in my avatar.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Mike i catch one that nice you can call it a cheesy grin if ya want lol im sher il be grinning my a$$ off lol:wink: congrats verry nice kitty

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Just about the best way to hang onto a big bluecat is to let him clamp down on your fingers of one hand while you got him horizontally with your other arm under him for support.

If you just hang him vertically by the jaw, you will probably dislocate his jaw and cause internal damage, since the fish is not accustomed to being vertical.

We all hope that you will join us in the idea of CPR (Catch, Photograph and Release) with all of the bigger fish. This will allow the big fish to repopulate the waters we fish in and help insure that there will be catfish for the next generations to catch.

None of us here on the BOC will find fault with a person that kills a fish to eat, but as a whole, we all encourage the release of larger fish.

I personally release every fish over 10 pounds and choose the fish I'll keep for supper from the smaller ones from 2 to 5 pounds. I have no personal reason for choosing that bracket other than they are easier for me to filet.:smile2:

7. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I usually grab right behind their pectoral fins? (the side ones :embarassed:) and then support the tail end with the other hand. Congrats on the great catch!

8. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I'd say from a lot of the posts I've read there's plenty of people on the "BOC that would find fault with a person that kills a fish to eat", especially big ones. I don't think catfish are on the verge of extinction, and it's not because all the CPR guys are throwing their fish back. Once a guy purchases a license he can do whatever he wants with the fish he harvests big or small. Just like a licensed and tagged deer hunter can shoot whaterver legal deer he chooses be it a spike buck, trophy buck, 'ol fat doe, or a fawn. Good Luck

9. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I released this one, Albert. Never caught one even close to that big. In fact broke my personal best twice before that fish the same day with a 6 pounder and 8 pounder (I cleaned them). Taking into account the maturity of the fish, I decided I had enough to eat already. My dad (ronlyn) and I had nearly a limit a piece already.

That being said, I believe it is a personal choice on catch and release, so I will never fault anyone for eatin' em. I have decided anything over 10-12 pounds goes back, if I am fortunate enough to catch 'em again.

10. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Trevor, I'd never say a single thing to you if I was fishin' with you and you kept a biggun'... Just decided to release her myself.

11. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I released this one, Albert. Never caught one even close to that big. In fact broke my personal best twice before that fish the same day with a 6 pounder and 8 pounder (I cleaned them). Taking into account the maturity of the fish, I decided I had enough to eat already (my dad (ronlyn) and I had nearly a limit a piece already.

That being said, I believe it is a personal choice on catch and release, so I will never fault anyone for eatin' em. I have decided anything over 10-12 pounds goes back, if I am fortunate enough to catch 'em again.

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Trevor,

CPR is a personal choice. If you decided that your 15 fish limit of 25 pound blues belonged in your freezer, I will stand with you or even help you clean them. It is your right to do so.

I set personal (I repeat PERSONAL) limits on myself to release all catfish over 10 pounds immediately after taking weight and a picture. For me, this is a personal decision which I will not violate unless the fish is injured by a hook in the gills. I will filet smaller fish from 2 to 10 pounds if the freezer is not overstocked with catfish already.

I will inform every person I fish as a client of my service of my decision and ask them to do the same. It's their personal choice and their final decision for themselves.

Trevor... as long as fishermen do not waste fish, I will be satisfied. I have a big problem with people who throw non-target fish into the rocks to die. If it's a carp, drum or gar, some fishermen think it's OK to kill the fish and throw it up into the rocks to rot and stink. Please don't do that. Encourage others not to do it either. It makes an otherwise great outing into an experience not forgotten quickly.

Welcome to the BOC. Come fish with me.

13. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I'm not gonna be catching 15, 25 pound catfish anytime soon. I probably only catch and keep 50 or so catfish a year, and very few will be 25+ pounds, I could catch more if I wanted but I really don't need to, I pretty much catch what I need. If I didn't like eating them I wouldn't fish for them at all. For me the eating is what the catfishing is all about.
    :smile2:

14. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Very nice Blue, wtg on your new PB.

Thats also a very nice grin, grimace, whatever you choose to call it. The "Happy" almost glows out of your eyes its so strong. Great feeling ain't it. :)

15. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Now for the truth. My wife just about always catches the big fish of each trip. He was using his mother's rod, because she went to visit her mother. He wouldn't have caught that biggun using another rod. Her fishing rod is magic.

The previous week, she caught a 16, a 15, a 9 lb Flat, and an 8. See what I mean?

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    nice cat, Mike - you are holding that dude like a newborn baby!:smile2:
    i see nothing wrong with the way you handled it:wink:

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    that is a sermon, Albert. the congregation is over here :wink:

18. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks to everyone for the help and kind words. Pop, someone had to break that rod in!

19. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Berkly and others make a grabber to get them bigguns and even weigh them. Getting the hook out aint very hard. Keep the eaters, and the bigguns eat well too. Just remeber , where did it come from, are there more, and do I want to claen a big fixh.
    Keep them lines wet