handling larger cats

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by supra06, Sep 15, 2009.

1. supra06

supra06 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    what weight class fish needs to be supported in two places and not just by the mouth? how do you guys pick up larger cats and how would you weigh them?

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    this lady friend i fish with is an upholstery lady so she made us a net like the musky fishermen use.we dont pick a fish over 20 lbs up we just lead it into the net weigh it and release it right back in the lake.the fish is always flat and supported the intire length of its body.ooo by the way her name is cassk and shes a classy lady.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I usually hold them like the one in my Avatar.

4. seth3221

seth3221 New Member

State:
    NC
    IF the get much over 20lbs i put them in the net and weigh it that way just subtract the weight of the net. Other then that i use the grips i got from team catfish they seem to work well.

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always hold a flathead by the mouth, and support the body if it's a larger one. One thing I don't know for sure it hurts, but I don't see why anyone would take the chance is holding a big flattie in the gill area. You my not actually harm the gills, but why take the chance if you are letting the fish go?

6. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I know one thing - those fish bite hard as he!!