Handling big blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Taliesin, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have read on this site that handling big glues can cause quite a bit of harm. Speifically that holding a big blue by it's mouth can cause quite a bit of damage.

My question is this:
    How big of a blue is safe to handle by the mouth and how do you handle those that are bigger?

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Even a 1lb blue can hurt you when you hold it in the mouth.They clamp down and start shakin and they will sand paper your skin.The bigger they are the more jaw pressure they have.what I usually do is use gloves if its over 20 lbs the teeth want eat your skin up with gloves on.The other option is holding them by their gills but thats not good for the fish.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, even the small ones can get you pretty bad, but the bigger they get the worse they can hurt you, a blue over like 30 pounds has some extremely powerful jaws, but when they start rolling it will litterally tear the skin off your hands. This is why I really don't understand why so many people argued with me on a thread I made a while back talking about having the right kind of landing net, why would you want to grab the fish? You can get those "Boga Grip" things at least.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well its been a few months since i saw a set of them extremely powerful jaws but if i do see another set i will take my chances with them. i dont care how much they tell me it hurts. my old skin will grow back.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I guess I wasn't quite clear.

I am concerned about damaging the fish. I have gloves to protect my hands.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I may be wrong ( And if I am Im sure I will be told so:embarassed: ) but Ive always been taught that no matter how big the fish is you can grab it by the mouth without doing any damage to the fish. Its just rough on the bare nuckles . Just do not grab it by the gills this will do unrepairable damage even if its not noticed at the time it can cause infection to set up later and eventually kill the fish. 777

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I always try to lift the big fish by the head and tail. The really big fish need to be craddled to manage them effectively. You end up being a mess, but it is best for the fish.

8. catfishinmagician

catfishinmagician New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with dieter. I always grab the larger fish by the mouth. then cradle the belly or tail with your other hand or arm. I've heard, don't know if it is true or not, but heard that try not to lift the really big ones just by their mouth. Supposedly it puts tremendous strain on their spine and could break the fish's back right behind its head. Again don't know if it is true or not, but it definitely won't hurt the fish anymore by using its belly and tail, and it will also be a little easier on you to lift him. Also, wear at least one glove (the hand going in the fishes mouth). I finally started wearing on, and man, i can't believe i ever didn't before.

9. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    No matter how you go about it, handleing a Blue over 20# is difficult. I've landed them by grabbing the lip and tail, landing net, and lip and carddle the mid section. All methods worked and I was "injured" in some way using every method. Mostly, a hurting hand from all the force from the jaws. I don't like to hold a big fish by the lip only because of the effect of the internal organs sagging and I fear that could cause major damage to the fish. I only keep a big fish if it's injured in some way or I have to supply fish for a big fish fry and don't have enough to get the job done. I intend to release any fish over 20# if at all possible. Keep the good eaters and release the trophys if possible.