Handling Big Blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Catfishqueen, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Catfishqueen

Catfishqueen New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, MD
    I am new to the BOC. I just caught my bigget blue, 38 lbs in the rappahannock river, VA. What is the best way to handle these big fish? Do they bite if you pick them up with your hand in their mouth? Or might picking them up by their gills be better? I have been able to handle the smaller fish but the big blues are a challenge :D

2. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yes blues will bite and they will bite hard! I always wear a glove when grabbing them. Try not to hold them by the gills if your going to release them. Grabbing them in the gils can damage the gills.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    welcome aboard queen.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You can take it like a fool and grab them in there mouth like me. So you can prove to everyone you got a biggen sense you have hamburger fingers. I broke down and got a lindy kevlar glove now. :) Although I don't always have it with me. I always have my burkley boga scale thing though in the boat. It swivles so it don't put your hand in a bind when they start to twist. It also weighs the fish for you. I Never put my hand in there gills unless there ones being kept.

No Pain No Gain

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I use a gaff to lift the fish out of the water. I try to get some quick photos and return them to the water as soon as possible. While taking pictures I try and hold the fish horizontal as much as possible as studies have shown holding big fish vertically can damage their internal organs. I use to put my hand in their mouth to hold them, however I dont do that anymore. I had a blue clamp down which isnt too too bad, but the human nature of reflex and jerking your fingers back out of his mouth will yeild dozens of tiny cuts on both the upper and lower sides of your fingers. Congratulations on the nice Blue Cat. Hes a dandy. :cool:

6. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    i grab them by the gill flaps not the gills. I dont know that i stress them out. Ive had a few that were 50lbs+ that i was able to take 10miles away for a photo shoot then turn em lose and theyd take off after minimal pampering. My main concern if i have to take them away is not to put them into a container where they cant lay strait because rigamortis sets in and they die quickly. I admit i am guilty of taking a couple that couldnt fit into my homemade transportation device and just put their heads down in the water and let the tail hang out, while i ran to get a cheapo camera&or a quick weigh in. My biggest fish (68lbs) i couldnt grab by the gill flaps because its weight would stretch em out.. so i had to hug 'em. I wish i had my digital then, but i do now so thank God...

7. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Hi, Queenie, just wanted to say welcome to the board, I'm pretty new myself. Can't help you with your question, since I haven't caught the "big one"yet...and I stress the yet! Nice to meet you!

8. WKYCatman

WKYCatman New Member

Like crazy , I don't have the sense to learn to keep my paws out of there mouth . I have a gaff and a glove and I think the price tag is still on them both. LOL I fish alone mostly and just never seem to have either close at the time I need them. Plus like crazy said you can show off your mangled fingers/hands to yer buddies. I hawg for cats a little every year so I'm kinda used to it I reckon. On the really big ones I'd say a gaff , if used carefully, is the best way to handle them . Much better than a net , if you plan to release them , you wont remove too much of there slime .

Good-Luck,
    And thats a Dandy fish,
    WKYCatman :D

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Best thing to do if you are weary is to use gloves. Grabbing the gills can damage them, the bigger ones more so than the smaller ones. I see some grab by the mouth bare hand all the time, but some of those same people will tell of stories of some that clamped on the before as well.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Jetdriver, thats for sure. If a cat bites ya hold on tight and don't let go no matter what he does. Sure it hurts but its him sliding down your fingers once you let go that gets you. Nothing makes me more disapointed in someone when they drop a fish because they can't hold on to it. I watched a kid drop a baby 3LB flathead twice in the boat. I thought I was going to have to keep him.

11. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I use a large net to get them into the boat. Then I either use a "Fish Lipper" (like Boga or Berkley) or a normal gardening glove to put on so I can put my hand in their mouth. I tried using my bare hand earlier this year and he ripped it up. Not only did it swell quite a bit but it was sore for over 2 weeks. That was only a 37.5 lber too!

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Yep they can and will bite. Even the small ones can clamp down good. :cursing:

13. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I usually just grab them by the mouth. Sometimes they clamp and sometimes they don't, it's not to bad though. Good Luck Fishin!! ;)

14. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    According to biologist, lipping and holding fish horizontal is the best bet, other than not pulling him outa the water in the first place.
    'If ya doing it to get pics, then wear thick leather gloves,while supporting the fishes under side.
    I'll also always try to hold onto the fish while releaseing him so as to let him "recover" before being dunked back into the current. I've olny had to "burp" one once.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    IT was only a 37 pounder, wow I wish I could only catch 37# fish, I am sure if I keep getting out there I will get one eventually. I always use the digital fish scale to hold them just for weight and a quick photo then I release them. My biggest so far was only a 21# blue, I wish blues faught as hard as flatties, that would be something. :)

16. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jason,
    The blues I catch out of the Missouri fight just as hard if not harder than the flatheads. Most the flatheads don't know they are hooked until they are close to the bank. While the blues run like a frieght train during the whole fight.

17. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    LOL! A 37 lber in the Scheme of "Big Blues" is certainly on the smaller side. Man handling a 37 is tough but when they get up over 50, then you are a little more at their mercy. Hopefully I'll get some experience soon with the "over 60" Blue population.

Keith has a great example of "how to" hold a nice cat horizontal in his profile pic, LOL. Just be careful when you go to get your mail :D

18. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Shane thanks,(also for "rubbing it in ") LOL
    We had parried thoughts back and forth on the old site about a sling for holding weighing big cats.
    It's still in the planning stages of course,Shane keeps taking all the biggins before anyone else can get to em.
    Biggest trick is, handle them gentle as possible and if you're not gonna keep em, get them back in the water. :p

19. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I personaly beleive out of a boat they should be netted.
    They should be left in the net if possible to get out the hook. The net helps to restrict their movements.
    Blues are hard to handle! Extra care is needed and a glove should be worn.
    If not, your probabley going to get some skin taken and drop the fish.

20. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Jason, My biggest blue was just recently at 28lbs and i have caught 50lb flatties who fought half as much as that blue did.These fish i catch in the mighty Missouri river. The initial hit of the blue cat is just awesome and very addictive fishing.Keep after them because you must have caught a blue with something wrong with it. Good luck fishing!!