Handle slips when reeling in fish

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by iluvcatfishin, Jun 30, 2008.

1. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a few ambassadeur reels and on all them the handle slips when I hold the spool and turn the handle. I am assuming this is normal since all of mine do this, even the new ones. I have a 5000, 6000 and 6600 D5.

My question is this. On my 6000 the handle slips worse than the others. I was reeling in a 4 lb cat today and the handle was slipping when I was reeling him. This doesnt seem right, especially with fish that size. Is there a way to prevent any slipping at all?

Also, on my 6600, with my star wheel set as tight as it will go I can grab the line and pull it out without much pressure. The drags on the others are decent but even when I tighten them all the way I can pull the line out. Is this normal with these reels?

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Sounds like you have braided line on them. If thats the case when you put it on ya need to put a small amount of mono on first or wind the braid on a couple of times and tape it down to the reel with electrical tape and then continue to wind the rest of the line on TIGHT, TIGHT,TIGHT. The tighter the better. I did the same thing first time with braid.

3. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I have 2 6600 c4 and they dont do that but they have the new carbon matrix drag. I have a 6000 and I can barley pull out the line with the drag torqued down.

4. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont have braided line on them. I have 30# big game on them. Its not the line slipping on the spool its the handle itself slipping. If I press down on the spool with my thumb and turn the handle the handle turns.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Im not sure what it would be then, ya might want to go to a tackle shop and let them take a look. Hope this helps.

6. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well, I think I got it. I took the drag apart and found that the drag washers were pretty oily. I cleaned them up and the drag is much better. This also seemed to help the handle slipping problem. They still slip some but the tighter the drag is set the less handle slippage and the looser the drag the easier the handle slips. It seems the the drag setting affects the handle slippage. I dont know if this makes any sense but it seems to be okay now. Ill find out tomorrow, if I I catch more fish.

7. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont have braided line on them. I have 30# big game on them. Its not the line slipping on the spool its the handle itself slipping. If I press down on the spool with my thumb and turn the handle the handle turns.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes, if you hold the handle the spool slips and if you hold the spool the handle will slip. That is the way they are designed!!! The drag system is designed to keep the gears from stipping out in the reel!!!

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Put some new drag washers on those reels. After every fishing trip, back off the drags completely. This will keep the pressure off the drag washers and extend the life of them. Oil on washers. Not good..

Mark..

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep oil on the drag is bad and will make it weak. as long as you got it all off it should be fine.