Handle on Left Side of Spinning Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BigOleW9, Jun 10, 2006.

1. BigOleW9

BigOleW9 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have all types of reels, but I was wondering why on spincasters and baitcasters that the handle is on the right side but on spinning reels the handle is on the left?

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have not noticed that but most reels the handle can be switched to either side.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Its just the way you hold the reel. Casting reels (bait and spinning) go on top the rod and it is held with the left ahdn and reeled in with the right. Spinning reels are on the bottom of the rod and reeled in with the left hand while the right hand holds the rod. Of course that is only true for right handed set ups.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I'm not sure. i think baitcasters have R/L all backwards myself.

5. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    im in the same boat. cant use them any other way

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Long ago, someone figured out baitcasting reels had it all wrong and people who used spinning reels began using those with handles on the left side. When you think about it, it makes sense. You don't have to switch hands after casting or when you start to reel. For most who are right handed, the rod is then held in the strongest hand/arm, ready for action when that 6 " blue cat hits. That said, all my spinning reels are left hand retrieve, my baitcasters are opposite.

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well i'm backwards then I move all handles to the right side and hold with my left. I'm right handed

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am just not coordinated enough to allow my right hand to hold the pole and reel with the left. The right hand can do its job, but I cannot get that $##%$% left hand to do anything right.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am 60.I have heard this question and discussions all of my life.No one seems to have a answer that all accept.I believe that there are some things in life that we just don;t know,and never will.What matters to me is that we are seeing a solution with more reels of all types being made available with a choice.peewee-williams

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I purchased a left hand retrieve baitcaster, found out I didn't like it one bit. I like my handle on the right side, which maybe that I grew up with the right hand retrieve. When I use to use spinning reels for bass I liked the left hand retrieve but not any more, hmmm I really dont bass fish now except for accidental catches.

11. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I also have all of my handles on the righ side even though I am right handed. I have more control of the rod with my left hand then I do with my right. I have tried to reel in left handed before and it just cant happen.

12. BigOleW9

BigOleW9 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah I switch all my spinning reels to right handed. I can fight large fish just as good with the rod in my left arm.

13. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    my son and my wifes cousin is left handed so it seems like my poles are always being transformed from right to left it happens so much and im so used to it i can fish either way left or right

14. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I used to bass fish alot with a spinning reel. I am right handed so I was throwing right handed and reeling right handed couldn't work a buzzbait worth a flip so I changed to throwing right handed and reeling left handed. So all mine are left hand Spinning reels. Its a carry over from bassfishing.

15. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well, it has been stated before by scientists that your dominant hand/arm may not necessarily be your stronger hand/arm, but instead is your more coordinated hand/arm. The non-dominant side would be the stronger, but less coordinated of the two. Now when you look at them, spinning reels generally have a longer handle that requires a wider circle to reel. Now, the dominant (lets say the right) hand is more used to doing smaller things (writing, drawing etc...) and so it is more used to the smaller circle (casting reels). The left hand (in this case) is more used to doing larger scale things (lifting, punching etc...) so it would be more equiped to make the bigger loop. Now this isnt true for all people, but the ones that use the spinning reels on the left, and the baitcasters on the right (for right dominant hand) which is almost everyone I know, this could hold true.

Hope this helps :big_smile:

16. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    That's the best answer i've heard. Rep points for you!

Eric

17. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I'm fairly comfortable with either setup, myself, and not get messed up by it. Prefference however, is that the handle be on the left so I don't have to switch hands to reel in. Just what I'm a little more comfortable with.

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I grew up bass fishing, and with a spinning reel set up with the handle on the left allowed me to cast and immediately start reeling with spinnerbaits. This would keep the bait from sinking into the weeds, fouling up, and caught much more fish.

As for the off hand being stronger, in my case that isn't true. That may be from too much fishing and/or swordfighting. My right arm has gotten much more owkrout over the years than my left.

19. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    My first spining reel had handle on left side and couldn't chaned it. My first spincast reel had handle on the right side and had to switch hands after casting. NOW THIS WAS IN EARLY 50's. Sure wish I had kept all those reels I had back then. Probably had enough to start my own tackle shop. Somebody was always giving me a reel or rod. When I got my first free spool baitcaster I decided to learn to cast left handed and now I still use left handed casting for baitcasters and right handed for all others. Have tried to cast baitcaster with right hand but generally end up in trouble.
    Sun ius shinning today so I think I will get ready to do some fishin tonight.
    Everyone have a good day.

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I don't have an answer why they are that way but as a mere tad of a boy I was given a very nice baitcaster by my Godfather and learned the old cast right ,switch hands to reel routine.When my dad was stationed in Germany in the mid 50s I was introduced to Mitchell spinning reels with the handle on the left.This made far more sense to me and since Iwas playing baseball and trying to hit from either side worked well for the remainder of my life.They did make some left hand reel baitcasters even in recent times but they are hard to find.Today virtually all spinners have the ability to switch sides.I often fish with my spinners and the next day go with a guide who all pretty much use baitcasters and find I can switch without any conscious thought.Something about a big catfish I guess.:smile2: