Handicap ideas

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by 1sporticus, Feb 6, 2006.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi all, I have a lower torso ( legs no good on crutches, bad balance) problem, and am wanting to be able to move around the boat 16 foot jon extra wide and deep. I do fine with handholds, but am looking for new ideas.

2. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Andy, do you happen to have a picture of the inside area of your boat (to give an idea of layout)? If you do and can't post it, you can PM me.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't have one as of yet, but I'll get some taken ASAP

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I once seen a man with no legs in a boat do everything. He had a seat that sat on a rail mounted in the center of the boat from front to rear. When he got to his fishing area he lifted himself from the drivers seat to the seat on the rail and used his hands to push himself anywhere on the boat he needed to go.

Danny

5. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have venous problems and have a boat with stick steering. I can get in and fish all day without having to move around the boat. I love it. Good luck finding what you want. I think most things are designed for skinny athletic people with no disabilities. It's not really fair.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Locally there are 2-3 folks who bass fish tourneys from a modified Pontoon Boat, they do it from a wheelchair and basically have a lot of room to move the chair around and makes for easy on and off at the ramps, they do it all by themselves, Pretty impressive
    Salmonid

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well I've tried to send pics, but this thing won't let me, I get a message my pics are to big for this file. I don't know what to do about this, can anyone help?

8. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Download this great free viewer and open your pictures up in it. Click image, then resize. Make them the size you need.
    http://www.irfanview.com/

9. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    My father is handicaped ..he caught Polio before the vaceine and also has dwarfisim, so hes a short man who is pretty twisted up ...what we do for him is just put everything towards the middle and rear of his boat so he can either reach or hop around to reach it

10. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    You may be able to take channel and use the mount like the ones they use on sliding shed doors. Mount a chair to them and install stops. You could slide back and forth in the boat. I had a boat similar to yours and they had put in marine plywood as decking. I loved it as I no longer had to step over the bench seats. Th last section along the transom was open and had a livewell (old 55 cooler) and a pit to sit and run tiller outboard. In front was a pedestal. It was like a mini pontoon. I later cut holes at an angle and added hinges for extra storage. Painted top with rubber bedliner paint and it was great. You may also contact your local pro fishing organizations to see if they have any plans

Best of luck

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have spine damage and have to walk with a walker but I can't stay on my feet even 10 min. so I'm in a wheelchair most of the time.I have an al.14ft Polar Craft boat powered by a 25hp OB and with just 2 inline seats.It has stick stearing at the front seat and I took out the front bass boat type seat and replaced it with a bucket seat from a small car.I can do any thing I need to do(anchor,land fish,run troling motor ect.) from that seat and I don't ever have to get out of it but to change fuel tanks.I always have a 48qt cooler between the seats so it's easy to slide from the front seat onto the cooler and the onto the back seat to swap tanks and the car seat will tilt back so it's a great place for a nap.Everybody wants a realy big boat but I've been around boats for way over 40 years and it's as safe as any I've ever seen.I've had it on the Miss,Ark,Tenn rivers and a few small rivers plus some large lakes one of them 68,000 a.in a storm with 3ft waves with no problems.This is the best setup I have ever seen for a guy who can't walk.

12. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey Guys,

Andy wanted me to show you these pictures he was having trouble posting them!

Attached Files:

13. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    One more picture :):)

Attached Files:

14. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    1sporticus, what I would also think would work the best is a track system down the left side of your boat. I will have to do a little research for a system that would have a set of rollers mounted to the bottem of a boat grade seat. Also, with a couple of pulleys mounted fore and aft and rope with both ends fastened to the seat, would make transfer from the rear to the front much easier. You would also need a couple of sturdy grab bars installed at each end of the boat. I will let you know if I can find an inexpensive system to work for your application. You would probally also have to do away with the "standing" seat because it would be in the way.

15. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    1sporticus, I checked my books and also the internet but couln't find any place for a system to be purchased. This is probally something that will have to be constructed there. I would first see what type of plastic (or coated with rubber) casters are available there that have a bracket that could be mounted to the bottem of a seat. You will want casters that don't pivot. I would make the tracks out of U-channel with support posts underneath. Using U-channel instead of angle iron will make it safer so the track spacing doesn't spead out over the years. Of course, galvanized would be best. If you need any more suggestions of questions, just give me a hollar. I am sure other members will come along with suggestions to make your project even better. Best of luck!

16. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I can walk some, as long as I have some hand holds available, I now just sit in the seat and operate the boat. I do stand from time to time to keep my butt from falling asleep. but I would like to use the whole boat.

17. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    1sporticus,

Read your post. Without having any dimensions for your boat, I can only guess at a system for allowing you maximum utility and mobility. I have a 1 page rough layout for an idea, in MS Powerpoint, and as a .jpg image. Either of these are too large to allow posting on the BOC in a reply. If you can send me your e-mail addy in a PM, I'll attach the files for your review.

This idea basically uses the boat layout as-is, removing the bow seat from the post. Add a duplicate tapered seat post socket in the bow floor, just aft of the front platform.

You can get c-channel barn door header and roller bearings from Tractor Supply, Quality Farm & Fleet, or other hardware outfits. Cut two lengths to just fit inside the front and rear platform walls, and bracket one at the top of each post, and one near the bottom.

Make a bracket from aluminum angle or channel that will mount a swivel seat along with the rollers for the barndoor channels. This will allow you to move the seat fore and aft, and swivel right or left, just above the height of the front and rear platforms. Facing front or rear, you would either straddle the channnels or sit with your legs to one side. Sitting with the seat swiveled sideways you would have pretty good legroom. Gives you as much travel with the seat as you would have walking on the floor. You should be able to reach the tiller, bait tank, live well, and store spare rods and tackle down the sides. I think you could have a passenger along with plenty of room. I don't know if you'd have good reach for the trolling motor up front, but that can be designed later.

I don't know how much you can afford for the hardware. The channels are not too expensive, and the old bow seat might be used with a lazy susan bearing for a couple of bucks. If you're interested, I would be willing to provide the design layout and dimensioned part drawings for the assembly. You would need to provide good dimensions for the boat, and some good closeup pics of key areas.

A couple of good guys with a 12-pak or so could probably turn this out in somebody's garage over a weekend or two.

Dennis

18. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    If you have enough strength in your legs to walk a short distance but have balance problems, maybe handrails from a pontoon boat would give you sufficient hand holds plus maybe a rod box along one side to slide on.

19. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have given that some thought, and I am leaning towards that. I am unsure if I should put them in the middle, or on the sides.