Handheld fish finders.

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by kurt, Jul 11, 2006.

1. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was looking around on the internet and saw that they have portable depth/fish finders. Has any one tried any of these, and what models if so. That would be a key tool for bank fising if it actually worked.

Thanks,
    Kurt

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have seen the "Smartcast" in action. It was the wrist watch one. I would prefer the bigger portable screen if I got one. But it worked really well at the Lake we were fishing.

3. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I have the smart cast RF15 with the portble big screen it is not the best depth finder but for bank fishing it is probably the best you are going to find. It works great for me no complainants so far. I have had it out twice bank fishing. Next week is the week long fishing trip. So it will get a lot of use then.

4. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I guess I'm behind, I've never heard of them... I'll have to check those out.

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have a R/C hovercraft and was wondering if one of these portables would work towed behind it.

6. jim701

jim701 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have one and use it when bank fishing and have no complaints.I dont think it will work behind the r/c hovercraft because if you move it too fast it wont pick anything up.They are nice for ponds you cant get a boat on.

7. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    The Smartcast Rf15 has a connection in the back of it that will hook to a boat transducer. Dont think you could attch that to a hover craft. but if you could rig a way maybe something like a pvc pipe that attaches to your deck then goes out and down to the water where you could attach the tranducer. The Smartcast RF15 has two channels so you could have it attached to your transducer and your wireless transducer.
    stephen

8. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    All i really care about is the depth/temp not so much the fish. We have a nice humingbird on the john boat but we dont ever take the boat out. Do you take a seperate pole to throw the finder out ?

9. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    I always take a seperate pole for the trasducer. I take an old catfish rod.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yes, just hook a seperate pole up with the transduser. Any old pole will do, if it gets snagged an you lose it you can buy another one for like $30 I think. If you are looking for depth, then it is great.

11. Mudville

Mudville New Member

hey fellas thanks for the info....i have been wanting one of those smart casts since they came out but never gotten out to get it. now that i know it has good results i'll more than likely get one fairly soon.

12. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I tried one. It worked fairly well for bank use.

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looks like a couple of good reviews on them. Was thinking of getting one to map out the are below the dam I am fishing at. There are topo maps available, but no where near enough detail.

14. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i found one at big lots for 59.99 and picked it up. i only used it once, and it was pretty cool. i just got it, so ill try it and let u know.
    shaun

15. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for replys my hovercraft is 15in X6in I will give it try sometime.

16. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    make sure if you get one that you turn the senitivty all the way up and store your transducer in a completely dry place away from metal.

17. Mudville

Mudville New Member

man that's a deal. they go for $119 for the cheapest and up to i think $189 for the one with the big monitor. of coarse that's the one i want.lol.

18. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    The transducer only has to sit in the water not all the way to the bottom right. The one on our boat is just attached to the hull. IF that is the case a big float may be good to hook it up with so it wont get snagged and you could manover it around a little.