Handgunning for deer?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by bootshowl, Nov 24, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Anyone deer hunting with a handgun this year. Noticed I haven't seen any posts about it. I have a 6" S&W 41 Mag. I like to use. Probably just gonna use my Omega this year; but would like to hear of others successes.

2. SteveSm

SteveSm New Member

State:
    Decatur, Illinois
    No success yet but Thursday morning through Sunday night I will be hunting with my S&W 460XVR w/10.5" barrel. I had an opportunity to shoot several different does during our first season but I chose not to. If I get one I will have something to talk about as I am curious myself as to what will happen with this caliber on a deer.

3. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have a S&W 44 mag. 10 5/8 barrel with a tasco world class plus 3-6 scope on it, I have shot a couple of deer with it and they pretty much dropped in their tracks..I managed a 5 inch group @ 100 yards with it when I sighted it in.

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I sometimes use a S&W 44 mag. but my favorite is my Contender with a 16" 45-70 barrel with a muzzle brake machined into it. They just changed the law here in Ohio a few years ago that you can use any streight wall cartridge in a handgun and that was the largest I could get.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    would a .357 work or think it wouldnt be big enough?

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Gary;
    Last year I used my LAR Grizzly in .45WM to drop a nice 8-Pointer. Actually, I just wanted to see if I could still use open sights. I could!:big_smile:
    He dropped just as if he had been hit by a .30 cal Centerfire rifle. :)
    Oh, and Brother James, the answer to your question about the .357 is "Yes" but with some restrictions.:wink:
    I hope everyone filled at least one tag this year anyway. This year, I am looking forward to some ELK sish-q-bobs on my birthday and Jerky from my wife's kitchen. I just bought her a HP Cabela's grinder with the Jerky accessory and the 160 qt/ltr dehydrator!!:big_smile: Not to worry Brother's and Sister's, she has been wanting these for a couple years now!
    One NOTE on that Dehydrator! The 160 qt/1 ltr pulls 1600 watts and it's a good idea to put it on it's own 15 amp circuit!! Or at least make sure the other outlets on the circuit don't have big light bulbs, TV's, and such on the line at the same time! You will know in a hurry if there is, I can promise you that! Even if it's a 20 amp circuit you don't want the microwave, toaster, popcorn popper, refrigerator, ect, running at the same time!
    This is just my professional advice as a retired Inside {inside?, yea right!}Journeyman Wireman/Welder to my Brother's and Sister's that may be getting one of these things! :big_smile:
    Everyone have a SAFE Holiday Season however you may choose to celebrate it. I'm going to be a bit rare here on the BOC posts as I have too many things to do and too little time to do them in! Just "normal" Holiday Season Day's and Night's I guess!
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    James the 357 is legal for deer. I like a 6" barrel for a longer sight radius, a jacketed soft pt or hp bullet, and keep it to 25-30 yards, as if bowhunting. It's just like anything else, can't reach beyond yer limits. I don't use the 41 mag much different. Close in shots, good jacketed bullets. If ya got a scope you can reach further. But I don't know many guys that can shoot really consistant groups with open sights much past 25 yards. Still good for heavy cover hunting, which is what I have plenty of here. If ya haven't tried it, it's a rush, taking one with a pistol.
    :smile2:

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As far as the 357 goes, if it's a 4 inch, I'd stick to under 50 yards. If it's a 6 inch barrel or more, then up to 75 yards is ok. After that, the energy becomes questionable. I'd stick to 140 to 158grn bullets in hollow point.

As far as the open sights, it depends more on the shooter and their skill level. We shoot open sights in PPC and regularly shoot 2 to 3 inch 50 yard groups. With no time limit, and a good solid rest, then 75 yards is not out of the question with open sights as long as the shooter is skilled enough to handle it. That takes practice though, and alot of it! If you're wanting to use the 357 and expect to use it past 50 yards, then get the longer barrel, and get a low end scope. It won't make you shoot better, but will help you see better so you know exactly were you're putting your aiming point.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    2 years ago i shot a mulie buck at 60 yards with my ruger p 90 .45 acp. i hit him with remington 230 gr hollowpoints, the ones that come in a 100 round box at wallyworld. i carry the .45 for insurance shots on hogs, i always approach them from the back and shoot them once in the head. (i learned that from experience.) i hit the deer twice in the chest, and he took a couple steps and went right down on his nose.
    i haven't shot a deer with my .357 yet. but i have killed hogs with it out to 50 or so yards, mine is a 4" ruger gp-100. i am sure it would be fine for deer with proper shot placement. i use 158 grain hollowpoints for the hogs, should work for deer too.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have taken my pistols hunting(s&w-586 357/ super blackhawk 44) but havent used them on a deer yet. plowed a yote with the 44 a couple years back at 30ft. it layed him down like a wrecking ball. i just cant bring myself to leave the shotgun home when i deer hunt and dont opt for the pistols when i have the choice. i guess its because i cant shoot them as good as the long guns, you know the confidence thing.

11. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know many people believe the .45 auto to be too small for deer but in my state it is legal to deer hunt with. Our deer are relatively small. I have taken two deer with it and have been surprised. More so that I actually hit the deer where I was aiming. The first one took a heart shot at about 25 yards. He jumped in the air and then ran about five yards, stopped, looked around, and fell over dead. The second one was hit in the neck at about 35 yards and flipped straight back. My duty holster carries a .45 auto 8 hours a day five days a week to make sure I go home to see my family. I also spend a fair amount of time at the range to remain proficient. I have carried my 6 inch Ruger Security Six .357 and my 4 inch Smith .357 a few times but have not had deer within range. One thing about a .45 is that even if the bullet fails to expand it is still leaving a .45 caliber hole through the deer. Obviously it is a short range round. When I hunt with a handgun I usually sit in one of my bow stands. I'm thinking of buying myself a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag. for Christmas. I just hope I can shoot it as good as my .45's.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This is one of the most practical explanations I've seen in a long time! sometimes bullets expand, and sometimes they don't. If you start with a bullet that's the same size as the others when expanded, then you don't have to worry too much about bullet performance. Hit em hard, load em in the truck, enjoy with a good side dish, LOL.

13. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My hunting handgun is a TC Contender with a ten inch barrel chambered in 357 Super Mag. I load a 170 JHP. It does a great job on whitetails.

14. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I LOVE my Ruger Redhawk in 41 Magnum and have killed MANY hogs and several deer with it. My first experience with a hand gun deer hunting was watching my uncle hit a trotting buck at about 60-70 yards off hand out the window of his hunting cabin with a Blackhawk in 41 mag. It was the end of the last day and no one had seen anything and we were in the car when we heard the shot. We went to check and he was putting some duct tape over the glass window. I asked what he shot at kinda joking and he pointed out into the field at the dear laying in the grass about 90 yards from the cabin. We all saw it go behind the cabin in the field but all of out guns were in the truck already.
    The largest deer that I have taken in my life was a 11 point, I have a pic in my photos, and it was with a 45 acp shooting a Speer 260 grain semi jacketed Hollow point that I developed a load for. He never moved and was DRT.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Ive never done it but i bet if i did there would be a ton of lead flying :smile2:

16. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Never tried it. My carry gun isn't legal in AR because the barrel is under 5"
    My wife has a 38 special with a 5" barrel. Would it be sufficient or is it too small a caliber?

17. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most states have a .357 minimum.

18. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have taken several deer and am wanting to take a hog with a handgun.
    I use a model 29 S&W 44mag. 8 & 3/8 barrel 240 grain bullet. I use a red
    dot scope and am sighted in for 50 yds. I know I could probably shoot
    further but I try to make my set-ups around 50 yds.

19. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Keep the range at a distance you are sure you can make a chest hit. Use a good bullet, I prefer the Barnes X bullets; and you should be OK.

20. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use a Ruger Super Black Hawk in 44mag. I shoot hand loads developed around a 315gr. Hard cast gas checked bullet. I developed this load for the BH for Boar Hunting years ago. Since it shoots so well,I just use the same load for both,hogs and deer!:big_smile: The recoil is heavy,but not too sever!