Handguning Squirrels

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Wallbass, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    How many of you out there hunt Rabbits and Squirrels with a .22 handgun??
    Thanks Jeff :)

2. neal

neal New Member

State:
    ky.
    Jeff, I've tried it. My Father-in-law has a slab side 22 ruger. He does real good with it. I was out with him squirrel hunting one day and he had that 22 with him and wanted me to try to get a squirrel with it, well we had one treed up, I took the first shot at it and missed that squirrel thought he had it made because I had missed, but by the time I had sent the other 10 rounds up after him he had his ears laid back and his tail straight behind him and was moving out of that section of the woods. I gave the hand gun back to my father-in-law whose mouth was wide open and eyes big as half dollars. The squirrel got away and I gave up hand gun hunting squirrels.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Jeff I've pop'd a few rabbits for the fire with a Ruger Mk 1 with the near 7" taper barrel. But for tree rats always thought the 410 was better with heavy leaf cover, or a rifle in the late season when ya can see better. I think the 22 is a great training/fun gun. Have had mine for more than 25yrs...don't think I'll ever part with it. I've always thought Bill Ruger had a better design than Colt or High Standard as the sight plane has no moving parts. Cheaper too, or used to be. Have fun, be safe.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    man you must have tame ones lol. here i use a 20 guage single shot with 71/2 shot. them things run and jump from tree to tree like batman.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    For several years I averaged over a box of shells a day as I shot nearly every day and shot a "Brick" a week through 2 Ruger Single Six's.I could and did shoot from my big covered country front and back porches in the sleet and rain,so I did not have to miss a day.I also squirrel hunted with the pistols.A squirrel dog was a even bigger help.Everything was "right"for me to be able to do this,including living out and in the middle of no where and in a "Squirrel Heaven" as far as a Squirrel food supply.Practice nearly every day of the year and shooting at times with a old gentleman who worked the "101 Ranch"which was the last of the old traveling Wild West shows.He had many good pointers or tricks of the trade.Shooting nearly every single day was my thing.I enjoyed it and I relaxed that way.Them days is gone,but by gosh I had them! I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee