Handgun laws

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by fat_fish55, Dec 2, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was wondering what the requirements are to buy a used handgun in missouri or illinois
    i know it is 21 years for new
    lookin to get into handgun hunting next year

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't think your state cares if the gun is new or used. It is the age of the person which counts. Supposedly, and this is said tounge in cheek, a 21 year old is more mature than a 16 year old. I believe that is the thrust of the matter... maturity.

3. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    o
    i was just asking because i think you dont have to register like a shotgun or muzzleloader to yourself when you buy from some person
    i know i bought one of each of those when i was 16 with no questions asked

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    That age thing never was right and gun laws ain't been right sence they enacted that stupid gun law in 1968.I bought my frist deer rifle at the age of 16 and now you have to be 21 so all that don't make any sense to me.It's like when they were drafting young men to fight in Nam.They could fight and die in a war but the same men couldn't vote or buy beer and yes I know they changed the law because at 18 I voted and bought beer but they just did that so they could keep sending 18 yearolds to war and when the war was over they changed the law back to where you had to be 21 to buy beer and it was like if you're not getting drafted you're not a man anymore and at 18 I had a wife and kid.(I still have her)KC just hang in there you'll be 21 in 2 years and in a few more years you'll wish you were 18 again.:big_smile:

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    What Jim said.
    Bill

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I carried a .22 rifle or a shotgun to HS with me every day. Went hunting before class and after school. The only trouble I ever got into was having the supt. of schools or the principal chase me down the halls yelling for me to take my hat off. Times have changed - and not necessarily for the best.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Illinois has tough gun laws and paper work. I believe you can handgun hunt for deer at 18, but you may not posses a handgun at any other time if you are under 21. As far as ownership goes you can't get a gun registered to you if you are under 18, although you are aloud to have one in the field if you have a valid FOID and all that stuff. I'd double check on the handgun hunting at 18, because I know for sure you can't posses a handgun normally in Illinois if you are under 21. Used gun purchases are the same as new, anyhting that is legally purchased in IL has to go through the FFL transer and waiting periods. Just find a local conservation officer to find out for certain. I wanted to get my girlfriend a gun for Christmas since she wants to start hunting next year so I just took her to the store and paid for it, and let all the paper work be filled out by here.

Lots of people buy guns at estate sales and stuff, and I'm not really sure how that all works other than you're supposed to be of age. I guess it would be a good thing to know all the laws so you don't end up with a felony charge for something you thought was totally legal.

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    What the other fellas said and more. I missed if you said how old you are.
    If you've decided on handgun hunting start with a 22. You will never be sorry you have it. It will let you hone your skills and gun handling without large cost, and remember you have a greater risk of accidental discharges with a handgun than long guns, so those basic skills are important to ingrain on yourself. How many times have you seen in the news of police officers having a AD, and they handle guns every day. I've loved it & shot lots of pistols and sold & traded lots. But not the 22's. They are just as much fun and always practical. As a rule a pistol is what a fella has till he can get to his rifle or shotgun. Handgun hunting is fun cause yer breaking the "rule". Happy shooting & hunting.
    :smile2: