Handgun Hunting For Whitetails Revisited

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by H2O Mellon, Jul 3, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I figured we could all discuss our handguns that we used to target Whitetails with and add out tips & suggestions.

I use a Ruger Super Redhawk .454. It has a 7 1/2 barrell and an Aimpoint 3000 scope. I perfer to use Winshester Partian Gold Soft Point or Hollow Points in 250 grain. I feel this round is very comfortable to shoot and seems to have a great deal of penatration but more importantly expansion. I will sometimes also use Winchester Silvertip (Hunting) soft point or hollow points in 260 grain or Hornaday XTP hollow points in 300 grains. The 300 grain Hornaday's is a much hotter load (& Yes, you can FEEL the difference:wink: ) but I feel like this bullett is actually too hot for the much needed expansion for thin skinned animals such as Whitetails.

Until this year I used a Burris 2x Scope rather than the Aimpoint that I am using now. This Aimpoint is the older style. I seem to like it more than the newer style Aimpoints.

I found a very nice holster for my setup. It is a holster made by Miltech U.S.A. designed for a scoped, large frameed revolver. It has an area for six extra rounds.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am by no means an expert, but I suggest that you take your time getting into handun hunting. Some folks say it's no different than hunting with a shotgun, but in my opinon it is much different.

I approach my handgun hunting much like I do my bow hunting. I try to know my hunting area much better than I would if I were shotgun/rifle hunting. I also limit my shot distance and area prior to my hunt. I do not take a handgun shot pass 50 yards, even though my set up can kill a deer at a much farther distance. I also try to have clear "shooting lanes" like a bow hunter would have.

I do not take shots at running deer. This is a good rule to live by wheter your hunting with a shotgun, rifle, handgun, muzzleloader, cross bow, compound bow, or any other means. You increase your chance of a miss greatly by taking poor shots on running deer, not to mention you take a huge increase in chance of making a dabgerous shot. When a deer is running & your heart rate starts pumping it is easy to forget a couple of the most basic rules of hunting; "Know Your Target & What's Behind It". I once shot a small buck w/ my Ruger Blackhawk (.44 Mag) at 110 yards away while the deer was running on a deer drive. I was lucky in more ways than one. It was a lucky shot, actually it was a DUMB SHOT, a STUPID SHOT, a DANGEROUS SHOT (you get the picture). I also will say here & now that I HATE deer drives. I think if they are done wrong, they are an accident witing to happen. If you do partake in deer drives, please be carefull, you not only have to pay attention to your own actions, but also those of every other memebr of the drive. That is usually something that I do not like doing. I can normally take responsibility for my actions, but the actions of someone else is beyond my control.

Good (& Safe) Hunting To You All. I will follow up this post with some pics real soon.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pic #1 (just a pic of my setup) (that is rosen in the scope mount screw area, not dirt. The rosen was a suggestion from a rep from Ruger due to the recoi/shock of the .454 caliber)

Pic #2 (just a pic of my holster)

Pic #3 (my most commonly used .454 hunting ammo)

I would love to see pics of other people's hunting handgun set ups.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hunt in the thickest stuff I can find. I use a Ruger Blackhawk .357 with a 7 1/2 inch barrel and open sights. I load my own ammo and use Nosler hollow points.