Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Best way to find them is find the food, this year the acorn crop was great in some places and scarce in others. Those places with mash is a hotspot for deer and pigs. If I'm hunting public land I find where they're rooting at and hunt it, it might take a few days for them to come back through but they'll show up. You'll know if they're running the area hard by the rooting, hog wallers and mud rubbed up on the trees. The creek bottoms and old strip pits is a hotspot for them also, they like that loose dirt to root and waller in.

It definitely is a cannon, gots a crack and muzzle blast like no other, I'd say with some hot loads it'd be a handful. Gotta put a optic on it one day so I can stretch it out some more.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They can destroy people's land but I enjoy hunting them, give away the meat to people that wants them. I'll make sausage outta one or two each fall and that'll last me a good while.

Alotta the deer hunters say they push the deer out but that's not been the case with me. I kill deer every year in the same places that the pigs use. Actually killed that 8 point about 150 yards away from where I killed this boar at.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great hog!!! I have the Smith 8-3/8ths ported .460 with a Burris Long Eye Relief variable scope. I handload Hornady Flex Tip projectiles and they absolutely flat hammer our whitetails here in So. Il. Turns insides to goose patte!!!! I then flip the switch to handcast with a large flat meplat and shoot hogs.
Gristle plates are nothing!!! Double shoulder shot and they just flip clean over and do the straight leg boogie!!!! If you look close at the can in this pic, you can see on the bbn bottom part the imprint of the 4x4 it was setting on. In person you can see the actual saw cuts from my circular saw blade imprinted into the metal. And this was done at 50yds. I had corn back to 20yds from it.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Automotive lighting

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great hunt there. I've debated getting one of the bigger revolvers. I'm still using a 44.
I have taken most of my hogs with a 357. My shooting hand was injured earlier in life. I use to do one 50 round box a week practice. Then one day I had a couple of extra bucks and got 2 boxes and did them. The next day and for three more days my wrist wouldn't let me forget what I did to it with that injured wrist. Said that to explain why I have never gone 44 or even 41. The 357 does the trick well. Try to imagine that the 357 was designed by an Arizona State trooper to stop cars with.

·
Registered
Justin from Utah
1,621 Posts
Nice job Brandon. I personally would be scared of my shooting skills to try a pig with a revolver but you all must be pretty good shots. I also likes seeing your post hunt images my son is wanting to go on wild pig hunt so bad, it's fun to rub these images in to him lol....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts