Handgun for a lady

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by ole whiskers, Aug 1, 2008.

1. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

What cal or make should I look for in a handgun for my wife?

2. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Chuck, I don't know much about guns, but I do know about women, since I am one. Are you sure you want to get her a gun? Are you two getting along okay? You might want to talk to Countryhart before you do that!!!:eek:oooh::smile2::wink:

Good luck!

3. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    My wife has been trying to get me to buy her a gun. I told her if she takes the conceled carry class, I'd get her one. I'm probably gonna get her a little .22 or something. Walther makes a really nice one. Its called a P22. They are really cool looking.

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I would recommend a Lady Smith .38 Very simple and effective weapon. Easy to shoot and you can buy inexpensive ammo for practice. Once she is able to handle the gun and shoot it well then you can get some high quality potent hollowpoint ammo for her to carry in it.

5. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    records show a first shot center of mass with revolvers from untrained women. However, take her to the range and let her shoot some different makes, models and calibers. Find the one that fits her hands and the ammo budget. Take her to the range and get her some confidence. To answer your question, .38 or 9mm.

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree, a LadySmith hammerless airweight revolver in .38 should work just fine with some basic training and range time.

7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I also agree 100%! Don't get her a automatic pistol unless she likes to mess with guns, clips, and jams!

A revolver is so simple for a lady (or anyone) to use. She doesn't have to think about whether or not there is a bullet in the chamber, or how to release the safety...she just has to point and pull the trigger!

My wife has a .22 Mag High Standard Derringer that is not a bad gun for a woman, however, the Lady Smith is so much better.

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If it's just for at home protection I agree with the .38. If she is gonna be traveling and carrying the .38 is still good, but if she wants something a little smaller and lighter I suggest a .380. Not a hole lot of punch to it but it will still do some pretty good damage especially with hollow points.

9. wildhunter066

wildhunter066 New Member

State:
    missouri
    caliber doesnt really matter as long as it doesnt shoo straight lol

10. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I bought my daughter a .38 Smith Airweight, she can shoot it just fine, even with P+ loads
    We has been looking at a 9mm Kahr lately, it fits her hand well.

11. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Well, I guess there are worse things that can happen than being shot! Here is a true example:

One day, some years ago, a wife who had been married for 20 some years, found out that her husband had rented an apartment for a hot sweet young girl that worked for him. The husband and the girl were spending a lot of time in the apartment during working hours!:wink:

That night, after the her husband was soundly asleep, the wife went to the kitchen, and in a sauce pan, mixed grease and candles togather, then brought the mixture to a rolling boil!

She then returned to their bedroom and after pulling the covers off her sleeping husband...pored the boiling mixture between his legs on his private members!:crazy::crazy:

He did recover...however, I don't believe he was able to do much cheating after that!!:eek:oooh:

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Dang Bill, don't ya know anything about handguns? :wink:

Oh, and to that other person who posted on the previous page.....what was that shootin' straight/or NON-straight deal regarding? GEES :roll_eyes:.

13. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Well, Catgirl....once when I was young...I thought I knew everything there was to know about handguns, fast cars, women, and good beer!:cool2:

Sadly, I now know that I actually knew very little about handguns, fast cars, and especially WOMEN!

I am however, an expert on good and bad beer!:embarassed::wink::big_smile:

14. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Glock 23c , she will love it!

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'll recommend the one I bought my wife several years ago. She has toted it ever since. And she can even find it in her purse! Just happen to have this picture. :wink:

Lady Smith, .38 SPL, rated for +P+.

16. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'll chime in for the Kel-Tec P32, which I think was their first. My wife and also my mother are really noise and recoil shy, have really small hands, and as long as I clean and keep em ready for them, have been the only guns I let them shoot that they both did really well with. So we ended up with two.
    I will say that chambering that first round is a challenge, even for me. There the Berretta Tomcat has em beat. But the P32 is smaller and lighter. It was hard to procure em too, as the staff and a lot of peace officers were grabbing em soon as they hit the shelves; for "back ups".
    I like a snubby 38, like Dayton, but the noise and recoil spooked em.
    :wink:

17. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have a Kel-Tec P-3AT .380 that is a fine little auto pistol. I understand the Kel-Tec P.32 is lighter, slightly smaller and less recoil. An idea lady's gun...if broken in properly.

However, I wouldn't think of giving one to my wife or daughter to carry until I had shot at least 100 rounds (200 woud be better) thru it with out a failure to load, or a failure to eject a spent round!

It seems that SOME Kel-Tec pistols need to be broken in before they can be considered safe to carry as a self defense gun.

My .380 now has 101 rounds fired thru it without a mishap!:smile2: The first 24 rounds fired did produce several failures to load, and failures to eject.

I still believe a revolver is the easiest for most women to use, but, if I had a nice Kel Tec .32 I'd give it to my wife becasue she has shot many different guns.

18. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Good advice Bill. Kimber won't even talk to you bout problems till you've put 500 rounds thru one.
    :wink:
    I contacted Sig Sauer bout their recommended break in and they were a lil indignant....."Dos guns dut nut misfure." LOL

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We had both shot 357 pistols for many years. But when targeting I usually loaded her 357 with 38 SPL so she was pretty well use to the bang and shake. She has a small hand and doesn't have the strength to work the action on my Glock 26 9 MM. But firing a 38 SPL doesn't bother her.

20. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The 38 Lady Smith hands down. It is easy to carry and easy to shoot. The Lady Smith was designed not to hook anything in a purse or under a jacket when pulled out. Less chance of a jam also. A woman I know shoots a Glock G22 (40cal) and a 1911 full sized in 40 cal in Bowling pin shoots and has won over 100 events. She also hunts hogs with both guns. She had to use her concealed weapon one time on a dog that was charging her daughter and the slide cut open and broke her thumb. This woman has put literally thousands of rounds down range with the Glocks she shoots but in the panic of the moment he only got off one shot. Luckily it hit the animal and put it down and it was rabid and in her words she would not have been able to get off another shot. She now carries a Lady Smith as her concealed weapon.