Handgrabbing Tips?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by Rob Heflin, May 2, 2007.

1. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    You can pm me if you had rather. Some points I'm interested in:

1. What type waters do you prefer to fish? You can be location specific or just general type of water (river, oxbow, etc.)

2. What type natural or artificial structure do you prefer (under ramps, bank holes, stumps)?

3. What dimensions do you prefer on your boxes (if you use boxes)?

4. What water level/ temperature/ time of season (May, June or July) do you think is best?

5. What type/size fish do you catch the most?

Any other tips you can recommend would be helpful. Oh, and any good pics of the action or the harvest would be great.

Thanks.

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i used to noodle a lot not so much any more.when i was active i used only natural holes under,in,or around logs,under banks and rocks.i like water less than 5 ft.deep.i like fish under 35 lbs.i used a cane with a hook on it to bring the fish to hand.i only fished till i caught enough for a meal or two.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe we both know you will catch some grief from our brothers for even having the thought of posting this thread. Just Monday afternoon, I ran across a crew of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife biologist who were doing a shocking study in my local lake. I stopped to visit them for a while and we discussed noodling. I asked them specifically if noodling was harmful to the overall spawn of catfish. They stated a lot of large breeders were lost to the noodlers, but far less than was lost to trot liners and people who fish with rod and reel. That kinda surprised me to hear a biologist say that because it's been my thoughts for several years. For every one noodler, there is probably 7 or 8 trot liners, and for every trot liners, there 10 to 12 pole fishermen. SO, they are are pretty closed to balancing out on the harvest. That would roughly equate to for every 1 noodler, there are 70 to 80 (or 84 to 96 on the high end) pole fishermen. So, it doesn't matter what your particular cup of tea is, your still fishing.

Far as your questions go, each state is different, each body of water is different and each catfish is different. You just have to go to a body you believe there is fish at and have at it.

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    The only water I've ever noodled was in the spring river in kansas/oklahoma. For that area the end of June and first couple weeks in July is the best. As far as box dimensions we made most of ours out of a clean 55 gal. drum. Take a 2x4 and lay it on top of the drum lenghtwise and squash the drum so it is roughly 16"-18" tall. We'd use a front end loader bucket to squash the drum. Then cut a hole at the bottom edge on one end leaving a 8"-10" opening. If your going to set drums get them in the water in april and throw some sand in the bottom or gravel with the hole of the drum facing down river. Add some rocks around the edges and on top of the water to keep them from washing away.
    As far as finding natural holes, walk the river bank with a stick feeling underneath trees that are on the bank or under rock ledges on the river bank. Another good place to check is under submerged fallen trees. Once you find a hole in the bank, check for other holes as many will have 2-3 that will have to be blocked, so the fish won't escape. Once you find your hole(s) take your stick and make sure the hole does not go UP. These are the holes that will hold beavers/turtles/snakes etc. as there is usually a air pocket at the top.
    Before sticking your hand in the hole, put a stick in there with your knee covering the rest of the hole and wait til you hear and feel a big THUMP. When you hear/feel the thump you're set to go.
    Most of the time we'd get flatheads with a occasional blue. A 15-30lb blue will tear you up worse than any 80/100+lb flattie.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else PM me. Good Luck.

5. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I realize that and am fully aware of the intolerance on this board to all anglers who don't meet the criteria of the majority of folks on here. All I can say is that our MS biologists say there are not enough folks doing it here to hurt. I put this in the MS forum because I want MS anglers to respond. I'm not here to debate it, just to get tips. Personally, I run trotlines and keep what I catch for personal consumption. I caught maybe 100 pounds of fish last year on lines and ate it all.

Thanks for the tips fellas, keep 'em coming.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Exciting stuff! I'm gonna try this one day.

7. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Hey Rob, I used to handgrab alot but got tired of gettin wet,LOL!!
    In rivers we used natural holes in banks and in lakes we used tree stumps and plastic barrels and put rocks in them to weigh em down,,we only targeted flatheads, them blues will tear you up,,LOL!!
    Here is a good site for Mississippi Handgrabbers http://tcpc-handgrabbing.com/

8. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I appreciate everyone's responses so far, even you guys out of state.

I am curious to know how many states allow handgrabbing? I worked with a cop from Arkansas last summer down in New Orleans and he said it wasn't legal there.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I don't do this type of fishing and think anyone that does has to be a little touched in the head:lol: . I have nothing against it and know several people that do it and it is legal in Arkansa. The following is the seasons and regulations.

Hogging - The grabbing of fish by hand only in or under the water. It is unlawful to raise any part of a natural or artificial device out of the water thereby aiding in the capture of enclosed fish. One-half daily limit on catfish.
    Noodling - The taking of fish by the use of a pole mounted breakaway hook that detaches at the time of the strike or catch, or snare type device with an attached line manipulated by hand when a person is in or under the water. It is unlawful to raise any part of a natural or artificial device out of the water thereby aiding in the capture of enclosed fish. One-half daily limit on catfish.
    Open season for hogging and noodling is as follows: that portion of the state north and west of U. S. Highway 67 open July 15 through October 31, and that portion of the state south and east of U. S. Highway 67 open June 1 through October 31. The Arkansas River will remain open from June 1 through October 31, and the Mississippi River will remain open from May 1 through July 15. Only buffalo,

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  11. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    777, regs here state you can use only hand or rope (no attachments), so I guess we fit the "hogging" definition in the AR regs. Folks here call it handgrabbing or grabbling. Our season opened Tuesday and runs through July 15.

12. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    You been holding out on me!!!! :angry::angry: LOL!! I have 2 buddies and we'll be building some boxes and starting our little club/group of handgrabbers for the Rez! Any one know of a good website that gives instructions on how to build a good triangle box for flatheads?

13. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Rob back 30+ years ago I did a lot of grabbling in Sardis Lake,what waters are you going to be grabbling in??

14. taborcat

taborcat New Member

State:
    mississippi
    taborcat would like to say thanks to poisonpits awshucks savage308 heavyduty 777 and tonyjr for these useful posts

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    777 hit the nail on the head with the regulations but my home is in the part of the state that opens july 15th.nesting season is mostly over by then so most noodlers start june 15th.you can always recognize noodlers here they are the ones that have a perminent creak in their neck from looking over their shoulders fot the game wardens.

16. BayouCat

BayouCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I know here in Louisiana,it is legal from June to August. The flatheads usually are the last to spawn. (IN August) Down here everyone is afraid of gators and such. Find a hole without an air pocket,and your in good shape. As far as flats vs. blues, I've never seen a more evil cat than a flathead. He's a predator. I'm a blue fisherman though.If you take the red strip out of there back they eat as good as any flat will. Good luck.

17. catkwik

catkwik New Member

State:
    texas
    Not legal here in Texas

18. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    We're getting ready for our season here in MS! I'm ready!!!! :crazy:

19. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I know several guys who do this- "grabblin' ". They almost all have sunk series of old water heaters or "tanks" that have the end cut out. They have them marked with a bamboo pole and once they/ve found 2, they know the line they are all in and go down it. They catch a lot of big ones, like 40 pounds this way. I think a lot go to Grenada.
    I have never had to worry about what to do with one that big, but I guess I would let it go since it would probably suck to eat. I have wondered about the wisdom of taking several of these big spawners out, but it's legal (except for the water heater part), so I guess I will not worry about it. It does seem like a crazy thing to do!
    Back home they only did this by "noodling" in the banks in natural holes and I believe that is sporting. You never know what will be in there, while I suppose only a cat would be in a water heater out in 5 feet or so of water......

20. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi