Hand Wipes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rottdog, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello everyone,
    I was wandering last year I did alot of fishing with Chickenlivers, and when I would get done baiting my hook, I was using some of the moist hand wipes that you can buy at the grocery store.
    My question is do you think that using those hand wipes would put a scent on your bait that would effect your success?

Thanks for the advice,
    Garrett

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They will leave a scent on your hands, does it affect the bite ? Maybe, more so if the fish are playing hard to get I would think. I and most that I fish with rinse there hands in the bdy of water we are fishing and dry of with a rag, towel etc. I do use the handi wipes before I eat, skipjack and shad don't lend a good flavor to a sandwich.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Oh come now, they just ad flavor to a sandwich. We keep wipes in the boat to wash our hands with and I don't think they effect the bite.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't think it would affect the bite much.

Think about it... Some people use soap for bait, and it works.

I'm too cheap to use those things though. I wash my hands in the water.

It also reduces the amount of trash I have to take out with me.

5. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wash mine with cheap toothpaste and dry them well. I can't stand the smell of shad when I am trying to eat or open a drink.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You guys...... It's just like having a side of anchovies,mmmmmmm...W

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have never use hand wipes, I just use a cloth to wipe my hands.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    River water, and a pair of Levi's works for me, but I'm a skank when I fish.

9. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Unless Im eating the Shad smell dosent bother me to much ..but like Kat in the hat said I just use my jeans

10. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Come on fellas, just lick your fingers clean and go on!! Just kidding, I carry a bar of Ivory soap, 99.9% soap or so the ads say. No scents, etc. I wash with lake/river water and wipe my hands on an old towel (my wife graciously gives me "old" towels when she wants new ones). I do keep some wipes for when we eat (she loves to fish and is a little more delicate than me, she saw me eat a sandwich with 'crawler "residue" on my hands and claimed it was a major turnoff, I thought I was being macho) and they are great for after lunch when... nature calls. I had enough microbiology in college to really want to avoid some of the things that live in lake water, river water, chicken livers, on dead fish... did I mention stink baits. Yum, yum.:smile2:

Fish hard, pray harder.

11. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    WHEN I USE LIVERS OR EVEN STINK BAITS OR EVEN HANDLING LIVE BAITS I WASH MY HANDS OFF IN CLEAN WATER THAT WAY I'M NOT TAKING THE CHANCE OF PASSING SCENTS OF CHEMICALS TO MY BAITS.

12. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Normally, while I'm fishing, I'll rinse my hands off in the water and dry them on a rag. I'll use the hand wipe only at the end of the trip so my handlebars don't smell like chicken liver and dead fish.

-- Rich

13. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Even though there are "soap" baits and such, they are not made with near as much alcohol and perfume. Other ingredients like aloe and some have skin conditioners that are oily and will leave residue. Great way to keep your hands clean, but i do think it could affect your bite. Like most, i try to stay as natural as possible, rinse them in the water, wipe em on yer jeans and get back to business. You dont want to blow the "bite" of a lifetime because of a handi-wipe do you?

Just my thoughts, Dru

14. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I carry a gallon bucket what ice cream come in with soapy water to wash my hands, and a towel. Drip a lil soapy water on yer bait and the bite increases for channels. They like soap. Works every time.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I just reach over and wash mine in the water a little soap help though:tounge_out:

16. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    Catfish feed mostly by smell. They have millions of taste buds in thier mouth and even on thier wiskers, some biologists say they can smell up to 400 times better than a dog. It will definately leave a residue on your hands and whatever else you touch such as your bait. Will it affect the catfish, that all depends on what the handiwipes have on them, more than likely there is enough perfume to turn away a catfish.

17. FISHINSANTEE

FISHINSANTEE New Member

State:
    sc
    I think the smell would effect the bite. I try to keep forign smells off the bait as much as possible. Most of the people that use soap use lye soap which is mostly fat, so I am told. I guess if the bait bothers you guys to bad you could get some latex gloves, just dont let the real fishermen see you they might have something to say. HaHa.