Hand tyed flys

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by FS Driver, Feb 6, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i know this isnt cat material but it is akin to gill and panfishing
    and some of you may have expeiriance or interest in it .
    tonite i went over to a friends house to drop off a machine i borrowed
    and he has asked me before a few times about fly fishing and he showed
    me his antique and modern rod/reels then he showed me his fly tying bench before long i had made my first fly a wooly booger is what he called this particular one . he said it looked pretty good for my first one.
    he gave me a vise a few hooks and some material thread feathers lead etc to make a few of my own . my 15yr old son got to make one when i got home his actually has the bead eyes looks like it will be a fun activity to do. wondering if any others here on the BOC do this or even fly fish for pans.

2. tackleman

tackleman New Member

State:
    Olathe. Kansas
    Darryl
    I tye flies and do quite abit of fly fishing for bass and pans. Caught a few channels with a wooly with a split shot above it.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i found a shakespeare flyrod outfit for 5 bux at a yardsale this past summer

hey if you dont mind my asking , have you ever used tiny circle hooks or do you think maybe they arent a good choice?

thanks for your response man i appreciate it:)

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    hers a pic of the 3 flys we made tonite the first 2 on the left with eyes my son made the smaller one on the right was the first one i made.

5. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    They looked great! Besides it is something you can do with your son and enjoy time together. I have done some fly fishing, but the fish were the safest thing in the area. LOL Talk about needing some lessons!:eek:

Frank

6. tackleman

tackleman New Member

State:
    Olathe. Kansas
    The flies look great. They should work great on gills. Yes I have used circle hooks they work great. The best thing about fishing with a fly rod is every fish is a fight. I've caught alot of bait using a fly rod most of the time the fish are lip hooked doto the hackle getting tangled in their teeth.

7. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Even small fish are fun on a fly rod, I can't imagine having a "real" fish hit my fly!

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey guys, Im a big time fly fisher, love trout and smallies and wading crystal clear trout streams, Ive been tying for about 10 years now, In fact, tonight Im leading a local Fly Fishing Clubs Tying class tonight. if there are any patterns or questions, please let me know, Im sure I can get you some good information. Yes, perfect for catching bait!!
    Oh yeah, just wait until you catch your first fish ona fly you tied, youll be digging that!!

Salmonid

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    wheres the best place to get a starter kit for fly tying?
    i have the post clamp and scissors but i would like to get a
    kit that has the different feathers ,hackle leadrope/wire,twine etc.
    i also have a twine spool threader tool (dont know exact name)
    it holds the spool and has a tube the thread feeds out of.
    looked on ebay but they have kits that are kinda higher than i expected
    any suggestions? thanks in advance.
    dave i got that link in pm that is a coolbeans site . i will be trying to do that one for sure thank you.
    DRC

10. tackleman

tackleman New Member

State:
    Olathe. Kansas
    Darryl
    You might take a look at Cabelas I was just on their site and they have several kits. Ebay also has alot of tying stuff also.

Mark
    What kind of waters do you fish? I fish mostly ponds and lakes here in Kansas.

11. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I've too just started getting interested in fly fishing but i buy my flys on Ebay they got good deals:cool: but i'm not against probably tying some one day ...

Flys look great DRC & son:thumbsup:

12. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think I got mine during one of the sales at BPS a few years back. All I added was a couple of extra bobbins and bought the materials to do the flys I wanted to try. I still dont have a complete "collection", but I just add a little as I need it.

Not only do I need to practice fly tying, but my casting needs a lot of work too.

13. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Your flies look great. I tie and love it. If you live by a Bass pro they have a great selection of supplies and materials. Don't like there prices but it is all high priced. I have been to several fly shops and the Bass pro in Louisiana is very well stocked. YOUR HOOKED!
    Joseph

14. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Not only do I need to practice fly tying, but my casting needs a lot of work too.

Me too i keep snapping flys off:mad:

15. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i just took up flyfishin and tyin my own flies. ive been able to catch some trout and gills and bass with my own flies. the biggest fish i caught flyfishin was a 2lb bass. that was a good fight.