hand sanitizer

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by andrew76, Jul 19, 2009.

1. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    I was just wandering is hand sanitizer a good bug repelant?

2. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    not sure!! but its probably a good fish repelant if you get it on your bait!!

3. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Was going to say the same. I don't even like using OFF for fear of it repelling fish once it gets on the bait!!

4. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    no just camping and drinkin beer no fishin.:smile2::eek:oooh::sad2:

5. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    normally i take a good shower before i camp or fish lol then i rub down with skin so soft from avon....Since i am a magnet to bugs I use no purfume anything while camping or fishing. I do go for the off deep when the skidders come out or spray my shoes down with it when i plan on being in the weeds. chiggers..........But all this can backfire if the pesky knats are around........Arkansas knats love to laugh at a thermocell even lol good luck

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    yah, i don't use off either!! i'd rather wear pants and long sleves if they get real bad!!

7. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Thanks glenda but all iv got is the hand crap. I thought the alcohol would stray the bugs off.

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    skin so soft works good.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I try to avoid off at all cost, but at times have had to use it.

I just try to be carefull not to get any on my hands, almost impossible when scrathing.

10. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Hey Andrew. To answer your question directly; hand sanitizer will deter mosquitoes to some degree. The strong odor (alcohol) of some hand sanitizers wears off quickly. As a result you will end up needing to apply it frequently. I would not recommend that as there could be some severe medical implications that go along with the over application. The fact is mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide. As human beings we emit carbon dioxide every time we exhale. We also radiate it from our body. So in short, it is not an effective repellent. I would recommend one of the new electronic mosquito repellers (bass pro, cabelas, etc...) or if your just outside enjoying some cold ones with your friends, some tiki torches. Don't understimate the power of a few tikis loaded up with citronella oil man. I don't believe anything is guaranteed 100%, but those are my personal recommendations. Good luck brother.