Hand made turtle hoop nets

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by rairdog, Apr 2, 2006.

1. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Anyone use hoop nets for trapping turtles. When I lived in Michigan we would take hand made hoop nets and place 1x2 wood between the hoops to spread the net out. Then we place a rotten piece of carp in a wire screen basket and suspend it from the top of the net. Place it in a shallow spot near a log jam and leave a third of it above water so the don't suffocate. We would check the traps daily and get 20 to 30 sliders/red ears and if lucky mabye 2 or 3 snappers. It is the most productive way I've ever found to catch turtles. I live in Indiana now and the river is full of turtles because not many people eat them here. The problem is I lost my contact for the hoop nets and I can't find any of the style we used on the www. They are about 4 to 5 feet long with 24" or 30" hoops. They are similar to fish traps but we didn't use stakes to strech them out.

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

3. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I agree don't make your own, Jann's Netcraft carries them. I personally don't like them, I still have two, one a gentleman made for me and one
    from Jann's. I can't check them every day and was losing too many to
    drowning. I use a four foot square floater and lose none to drowning. The plans I used is on ODNR, also many variations can be found on line.

4. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Found a net on ebay for 36 bucks, 44 total w/shipping. That's cheap:thumbsup: The guy makes them himself and lists them quite often. Just type in turtle net on ebay search. Can't wait to try it out. Gotta check it everyday.

Attached Files: