Hand Held Depth finders

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by 187um, Feb 2, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    so someone was telling me there are hand held depth finders it was in an e-mail but i am wondering if i can get all your thoughts on them, used them, and mostly can i use it at any river or lake from the bank??:confused2:

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    They do make them. You can rig the rig the transducer up to a float. I've never used one from the bank though. Do a google search for "handheld fish finder" or "portable fish finder".

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I have no experience or in truth seen one used.. I'd be interested to see how they are.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    There are a couple models that you cast the transducer out from rod and reel and it is remote signal back to the unit..... I have seen one type a fella had at Coffeen and well, all I would say is save your money to buy a boat.

5. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    yea i am tryin to some reason it just didn't seem right to me. but i agree with the boat thing anyway. just tough i have no way to pull one right now so if you've noticed all my posts have been about bank fishing but all the same you will find me along any shorline with water and fish in those waters!! you and all the guys out here have been awesome with info just wanted to say thanks 2 all of you......thanks!!:smile2:

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I got one and used it a few times. It worked OK but broke down too quickly; I don't recommend them.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Rob, I understand you are from the bank, I just think it is a waste of good hard cash, the best thing you can do from the bank or a boat is to get yourself as many topo and lake maps as you can, and KEEP a note pad in your tackle bag, write down what you see when a certain spot is low water, where your getting snags, if the bottom feels like rock,sand,clay etc.. there are way to many places online to get lake maps for free that are good, also, don't ever be afraid to ask a passing boat "Hey what does it look like along here?" I have people ask me all the time and also will tell someone that they may want to move down or over to the edge of a hole when I see them close to a good spot..... and the times you go with someone in a boat, just set by the finder and watch, when you see something you can return to from bank make you a few visual points, trees, rock, what ever. Take them notes, that way ya only have to remember which page you wrote them on :wink:

8. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    thanks for the help guys all is appreciated

9. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    I used a Hummingbird PiranhaMAX 230 Portable acouple years back, the little smart cast transducer basically just showed structure with little bait fish swimming near the surface. Some DNR would question myself why I have three poles out and would have to explain to them that one was a finder The transom transducer on the boat pulled in structure and fish ID better since it was plugged right into the finder. It took eight AA batteries, if I remember correctly and the batteries got sucked up fast. All in all the smart cast is good for structure for bank casting so ya don't get snagged and get some baitfish.....thats all. Save the cash.