Hand gun hunting? Self defense double duty?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by derbycitycatman, Dec 8, 2007.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What is the least powerful gun that could "ethically" take a whitetail. Im guessing 357, would a longer barrel help with anything. Im also looking at getting a self defense weapon and the best circumstance would be a gun that could do double duty but im not sure about the 357 for self defense. I havent shot a 357 or any other pistol since I was 12 or so. Any of you hand gunners have any advice for the hunting, self defense or a double duty gun.

2. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    In arkansas you may not use any centerfire rifle,pistol or revolver smaller than .22 caliber and you may not use handguns with barrels shorter than 4 inches.

3. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Thats to deer hunt.

4. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    I probably need to recheck my state regs but Im pretty sure KY allows this, thanks.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The 357 would be the logical choice and the least for taking whitetail. And any gun chambered for 357 can also shoot 38spl. and ammo selection choice is really varied for both.
    A longer barrel give the gun a longer sight plane, which makes for more accuracy and also more velocity in the projectile.
    The 44mag also can chamber the 44spl, so you have the same deal, but lots more power hunting, and more with the 44spl. than the 38spl. for defense.
    You get 3 choices with the 44mag. (full house, heavy, & standard)
    Lots of deer been taken with 44spl. hunting load.
    The S&W N frames, Ruger, and Taurus guns can take a heavy 44 load for hunting, and shine with a standard load for defence. Then you have yer 44mag for oh darn, it's a bear.
    The 45 long colt is a good choice also and you would probably find it very pleasant to shoot, and with heavy loads, good for whitetail.

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Brian I killed many deer with a 357 mag.I used a Ruger Securty 6 with a 6 in barrel.The last one I killed was a 50yd shot and it put him on the ground in his tracks.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You cant go wrong w/ a 44, in my opinon. As has prev been stated you can use 44 specials, which are very good for both Whitetails and Self Defense, but the 44 Msg is even better.

My dad once got a buck @ 110 yards w/ his S&W model 686 .357. He was using Black Talon bullets. Many deer have been taken w/ a .357. I mean, shoot lets face it it used to be one of the most powerfull standard handgun calibers around.

I'm a big fan of .45 Colt. A Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk can handle some very hot .45 Colt ammo. I've seen .45 Colt be loaded up to actually be more powerfull than most .44 Mags. (Of corse, it's always recomended to NOT shoot hot reloads.)

With all that being said, I'm a REAL BIG fan of the .454. While the .454 may be a bit much for self defense, you can also shoot .45 Colts out of a .454. And I can tell you from 1st hand experience, that a whitetail is no match for a .454.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like a .357 for hunting or self defense. It's a very powerful round and very accurate out to around 100 yards. I've taken several deer with my Ruger Blackhawk and my Ruger Security Six. The recovery time with a .44 is not too good for most shooters so it is not the best self defense weapon for anyone who doesn't do a lot of shooting. The .45 is great for close range, 50 yards or less, but isn't too good further out.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would sudjest the 357 too. with some hot light bullets it will dispatch a human for sure and some heavy semi wadcutters will fefinatly get you to the vitals of a deer. that would be on the light side as your question stated,imo. of corse the 44 would be better for both, if you want to go that route. the only problem i have hunting with the 44 full house loads is my ears. you can damage your hearing permanently with 27 grs of 296!!!!!!!!

10. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Well I broke down today and bought a 44mag Taurus. I think it has a 6 1/2" barrel and is stainless steel. It felt much better in my hands than any 357 I picked up. Also bought some powder, bullets, dies, primers and rounds. Now I just need some time for shooting.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd consider the .41 mag. You can get full power loads for hunting and the lighter 175 or 170 grain loadings are great personal protection loads. It recoils a little bit more than a 357 but ALOT less than a 44 mag. The 10mm auto is another good choice, but the 41 mag has more power and range at the top end.

12. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    A 44mag is the best,357mag is good,but for protection i like my
    Springfield Exreme Duty 9mm is the bomb,if they get up from it they can walk lol...You all have a Happy and safe new year...

13. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    The 357 mag is more than enough handgun for whitetail deer or home protection. I personally prefer my 45 auto for home defense but then I have my choice of several handguns. The Ruger super blackhawk bisley hunter in 44 mag is my favorite for whitetails, and really doesn't have much recoil.

14. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You should have checked out the Taurus Judge, it will shoot .45 long colt or a 2.5" .410 shotshell. Although the .45 lc is known as primarily a cowboy action round, as stated in a previous post it can be re-loaded to a more powerful round and you have the .410 shotshell option for home protection

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=201&category=Revolver

P.S. I posted the link to a stainless one with a 6" barrel because this is the style I have been eyeballing since reading this article (link below), although they are avaliable in blued or stainless with a 3" or 6" barrel

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=577

15. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    I was looking at a 45lc/410 six shooter, s @ W i think. I didnt like the price though. It would be a great all around gun, deer, squirrel and self defense. I picked the 44 mag mainly i think because of how it felt, Ive shot it and doesnt seem like much recoil to me. 3 others shot it and all said it was a very smooth shooting for a 44mag. For deer hunting and larger game I am very happy. I think im gonna get me a pistol dedicated to self defense though. I think I got the hand gun bug now. :embarassed: