Hand Grabbing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TonyJr, Feb 24, 2006.

1. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hello Board,
    I'm from Mississippi and love fishing. I've never been on a hand grabbing trip. I've been trying to get invited on one for a few years. I don't know anyone that does this so it hard to learn how. I don't know that I'd want to do it more than once, but I'd love to find out. You can blind fold me and take to the spot so long as I can come along is all that matters to me. Thanks for any replys!;)
    Tony Jr

2. basshole

basshole New Member

State:
    Mo
    ha ha! tonyjr....had the same idea as me i guess....i am on here trying to find some info on how to build these boxes for hand grabbin. I ain't to sure we are gonna get invited on a trip...i think it is just up to me and you man. It can't be that difficult to figure out....we just build some boxes and put them out...i ain't scared to try nothing once..or twice.

3. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    LOL!! Great minds think alike!;)

4. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Them noodlers are a secretive bunch, here in Missouri they just started an experimental run on 3 rivers this last year, didn't have any luck but we only went 1 time. I don't noodle myself, I just pilot the boat/ambulance(lol). There is a group called Noodlers Anonymous, but don't if they're nationwide or a regional group...Good Luck guys:)

5. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Wolfman, even with all that it must be fun:)!
    Y'all still do it;)! I just need to say "been there, done that" about hand grabbing once in my life.

PS. Everyone talks about how ruff/hard it is. I'm not from Missouri but SHOW ME! LOL

6. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    LOL...Wolfman...that's a pretty good description of what happens. But I'll say this for sure...there is NOTHING that compares to the feeling of standing waist or chest deep outside a hole in a mud bank that has a BIG flathead inside it...and feeling the "THUMP...THUMP...THUMP" of the fish butting it's head against the walls of the hole because it senses something outside it's lair.

THAT is an adrenaline rush!! I'm not sure if it's excitement...or fear! (Because you know you're getting ready to stick your hand inside and grab it...or rather...it's going to grab you.)

Perhaps a combination of both fear AND excitement....with a dash of stupid mixed in. LOL

Been there...Done that.

7. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    See that's were I come in! LOL:)

8. smells like old liver!

smells like old liver! New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey wolfman! sounds like you met my ex- wife!!

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I was taught a couple of simple noodling survival rules by my grandpa when I was a kid.

NEVER stick your hand in a hole with an air pocket! Snakes like those type of holes even more than a flathead does!

ALWAYS feel around the edge of the hole before you stick your paw into it. If the edge of the hole is smooth...it's where a fish has been dragging its belly going in and out....proceed!

IF the edges are rough...it's more than likely a toothy critter such as a beaver, muskrat, or a turtle....just waiting for some finger food to come their way...LOL!

10. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

Has anyone on the BOC lost a finger from noodling, or any close calls?

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    NAW...no missing digits. I personally can still count to ten with my fingers...and not even have to count any one finger more than one time...Lol.

I have however had a few blue cats bite the living p!$$ out of me though. Geez...those blues can bite hard when they want to!

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Wolfman...I've had the good fortune NOT to have ever got ahold of a beaver, muskrat, otter, or turtle. We never had otter around here until the KS fish and game stocked 4 of them in the last 10 years. I have seen a couple...VERY briefly...since then. An otter is MUCH bigger than I ever thought they would be after seeing them in person.

As far as the hole being smooth where a beaver or a rat goes in or out...you're right when you say that they swim in and out of a hole without using their feet. But if you haven't noticed...they tend to swim towards the top or the middle of the water column. They won't drag their belly unless the hole they're using is far too small....and if it wasn't big enough at first...it will be by the end...or they won't use it at all.

A beaver hole won't be that hard to distinguish...it will have debris such as chunks of wood and sticks littered around the entrances/exits. I have yet to see a beaver holed up in a mud bank around here that wasn't readily identifiable as a beaver lodge. Of course I don't imply that this doesn't mean that it can't happen....I just mean I haven't seen it otherwise in these parts.

As far as otter and how they go in and out of a hole...I haven't got enough data to know how they enter/exit their nest...nor have I ever saw one of their nests....so I wouldn't know one if I saw it. I can't really comment from much real life experience...except from what I have seen on the nature tv channels. And from what I've seen there...I would agree that they look as if they're in a hurry most of the time...and that they probably do go fast in and out like a torpedo.

When I said avoid holes with an air pocket...I meant the obvious...don't stick your hand into a hole with a visible air pocket. Meaning the holes that extend above the waterline...readily identifiable. Nine times of ten from what I've seen...there is a snake in one of those types of holes...or there will be shortly.

An underwater hole with an air pocket is impossible to tell if it holds air...until AFTER the fact that you stuck your hand into it. I have found a few of those...but fortunately have not got bitten by anything other than a fish....YET.

I agree that a bluecat is readily noodle-able. They are VERY aggressive...or cooperative...as you put it...and will bite readily when you stick your hand into a rock cropping or what have you. I have yet to find a blue or a channel around here in a mud bank.

That's flathead territory.

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Thanks for the info Wolfman. I havent trapped since I was a kid...and they were all land sets. Never really had anyone to show me how to do water sets. I still subscribe to Fur Fish Game...there's some really interesting stuff in there about water sets.

I have seen lots of beaver holes here in the Neosho river that has wood chunks and sticks around the edges...but then again...the current isn't that bad unless the water is up...then it's bad. I leave those holes alone in any case.

One thing I should say that slipped my mind earlier when saying that I have never found a blue in a mud bank....We have had bigger blues (20 lb and bigger) here in the Neosho river for probably 8-10 years. I haven't noodled for perhaps 12 years....maybe a few more. Therefore....I think it's probably obvious why I never found a big blue in a mud bank here in the Neosho...Lol. I found small blues in, around, and underneath rocks back when I was still grabbing when I was looking for channel cats...but never did find one in a mud bank. But even a small blue can, will, and did draw some of my blood when I stuck my hand in some of the rock piles.

Things might be different now...we're seeing 30 and 40 lb blues on a more regular basis when they're in the river during the spring run. Perhaps they'll be taking over some of the holes that traditionally held the flathead before....but I hope they don't end up running off the flatheads in the process. Hopefully the gap between the flats and the blues spawn times will prevent that.

Once again...thanks for the information....and for setting me straight about the holes...lol. Also good luck in 2006 with your fishing experience.

Brian

14. basshole

basshole New Member

State:
    Mo
    This is going to be my first year hand grabbing....but hopefully i won't have to deal with the otters, beavers or snakes so much. I plan on sinking my boxes out in the resivoir 1/4-1/2 mile from the shore.....should be in good shape that far out. Maybe a big logger head might find his way out there...but i hope not.

15. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Around here we're not allowed to set boxes or anything artificial for hand fishing. That might make it a little better than the natural holes.I grew up and lived about 40 years down there within 35 miles of Wolfie and I'm with him on not sticking my hand in the holes around there.The beavers are thick down there and in the last 15 years the otters have got real thick.They are the reason I moved up here on the lake,They almost completly wiped out my favorite fishin holes down there.I would have never believed they could wipe out fish so fast.
    I wish you luck with your fishin and hope all is well and safe for you.I've done ALOT of crazy things in my time but I was always to chicken to try that.

16. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Good Luck , I Hope That It Works Out Well For You. One Thing About You Got More Backbone Than I Do.

17. NoodlingOkie

NoodlingOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've been noodling for 5 years, and everytime I go, I feel like it's the first time.

18. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I'm still looking for someone to tag along with on at least one trip!! :embarassed:

Just need to try it to see. I've told folks, "blind fold me until we get there, I don't care I just want to go" :lol: but haven't had any takers yet!! No one I know does this!