HAND FISHING?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kat king, Jul 24, 2008.

1. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    hello fellow BOC brothers and sisters i want to know if anyone knows where it is legal to hand fish? because of the fact i ran into a guy at a arlington gas station and overheard him tellin a buddy of his that he had 265lbs of flathead in the back of his truck so i asked him if i could see it for myself he said sure go right ahead so i went out and he had 2 70lbers and a 60 and a 65lb flatheads across the bed of his truck..and asked him what he was using for bait he looked at me and said MY HANDS my first thought was your nuts puttin your hands in there mouths..lol..and second why did you keep them and was it legal waters you did this in i cant remember what river he told me but it was in the arlington town..i was very upset that he kept the fish i am a very strong beleiver in CPR when fishing i only keeps eater channels..any info would be very helpfull i want to put a stop to him doin this if its not legal waters he said he does it all the time and always catches the big ones like that..thanx to anyone who can help..and give your opinions on hand fishing also please..

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Patrick this is from the KDWP site.

Hand fishing, for FLATHEAD CATFISH ONLY, is legal from sunrise to sunset June 15 through Aug. 31 at two locations:
    1. The Arkansas River from the John Mack Bridge on Broadway Street in Wichita downstream to the Kansas-Oklahoma border,
    2. The Kansas River from its origin downstream to its confluence with the Missouri River.
    A special permit ($27.15) is required in addition to a Fishing License. For locations to buy Hand Fishing permits go HERE or buy ONLINE.
    • Anyone hand fishing may not use hooks, snorkeling or scuba gear, or any other man-made device OR possess any fishing gear except a stringer.
    • Stringers may not be used until the fish are caught by hand and are at or above the surface of the water.
    • No man-made object — such as a barrel, box, or bathtub — may be used to attract fish.
    • A questionnaire shall be provided to each holder of a hand fishing permit. Each permit holder shall complete and submit the hand fishing questionnaire no later than 30 days after the close of the open hand fishing season.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Noodling is legal in KS only on 2 rivers and one is in only a section. He would have had quite the drive to do it on legal waters, especially when the are in the bed of a truck. I wish KS hadnt of added hand fishing. Of course one of the rivers has to be the one I fish.:confused2: IMO my river dont support enough flatheads to allow it.
    Here is what the KDWP has to say about it.

HAND FISHING

Hand fishing, for FLATHEAD CATFISH ONLY, is legal from sunrise to sunset June 15 through Aug. 31 at two locations:
    1. The Arkansas River from the John Mack Bridge on Broadway Street in Wichita downstream to the Kansas-Oklahoma border,
    2. The Kansas River from its origin downstream to its confluence with the Missouri River.
    A special permit ($27.15) is required in addition to a Fishing License
    Take Caution if you choose to alert the authorities. People are watchin.:wink:

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Jinx Tom, you owe me a coke.:smile2::smile2: That was fast!

5. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    thanx tom i know for a fact it was not on neither one of them rivers i would of rememberd those names for sure i fish the ark here in town so i am very familiar with the river and where it flows threw thanks again he better watch himself next time i am gonna report his butt..another thing this was in may of this year man i wish i could of stopped him from taking them fish out of the river and i also wish they would not of passed the noodleing law in kansas kyle..thanx you guys..:smile2:

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    by "hand fishing" you are talking about "noodleing" or "grappeling"? there are alot of videos on youtube showing it. I dont think there are much laws about it here in NC. I agree with you, there was no need to keep 260+ lbs of fish of any species. the fight is for me and the pictures are for bragging. I eat the crappie and buy farm fed catfish to eat. The lake I fish most just past a law. you can keep 1 catfish over 30 inches. (dont matter how you catch it.) and for jugging it changed from uncontroled, to limit of 70 jugs per boat (shouldnt be more than 20) but its a start. but like any law, only honest people (who know about the law) follow them. most others just buy a licence and anything goes.

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    If I would have seen all those hogs in the back of that truck, I would have lost it. :angry::angry::angry:

8. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    o trust me keith it was hard not to i started shakin and everything else cause i was so angry...

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    We remain convinced of the simple proposition that if the biguns are left
    to be brood stock that our waters would be filled with big fish in ten years.
    The side benefit of this would be more small cats as well due to greater
    spawning success. The shorter view of this is that the guy in the pickup
    truck is today's winner and he might not need to fish again until next year.
    The river can put up with both of us. Let's just try to let other folks know
    what we suspect and ask the biologists to find out for sure if it makes a
    difference. By the way, did you think to take down that guy's license
    plate number? A man with over a hundred pounds of catfish meat in
    his freezer might have some problems explaining his lack of a handfishing
    or commercial fisherman's license, yknow....

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I remember back about 6 or 7 yrs ago, I lived in Ottawa,Ks for a few months with a buddy. I fished the low water dam on the MDC River all the time. There used to be a bait shop on the north end of town right where 59 highway began. They had big picture books filled with pics of huge flatheads. Im talking thousands of pics. Looked liked the pics ranged from the late 80's to the early 2000's. This bait shop sold good river bait. Goldfish,small carp,perch,mudpuppies,big crawdads,creek chubs, and other baits. I asked the lady who worked in their what bait catches all those big fish, and she said mainly goldfish and perch. Then she tells me , that it might be 3 or 4 trips before I catch a flathead. I asked why , and she said because 90 % of those pics were from guys setlining and trotlining. At the time I was real green to catfishing, and I wasnt sure what that was. Then she explained it to me, and I said , well isnt that cheating. She said it was legal , but that most of the guys didnt care about the F&G laws, and that game wardens never patrolled that stretch of the MDC River. Since then Ive been back to fish down there on that river quite a few times, and all Ive ever been able to pull outta there was a 6 lb. flathead, and that was on chicken livers , right under the dam. Since then Ive learned alot about CPR, and practiced it religiously. It still pisses me off so bad to this day , thinking about how many big flatheads there were in that stretch of the river , and I cant help to think that there are not near as many in there. Its very hard to find good bank spots around Ottawa. Most of them are on private property, and landowners down there arent very friendly when you ask to fish it. Ive offered up money, asked if they needed any help with anything around the land, they just dont like outsiders. I know the MDC runs all the way to Truman, and alot of big flatheads journey up stream in the spring, but the water doesnt run down through there the way it used to. Pomona , Melvern , and Hillsdale just dont let that much water out every year to really get that river up and moving and keep it up and moving. Old timers that I saw at the low water dam back when I was down there told me stories of how that river used to always be up and moving, and that its a shame it isnt very often any more. I just wish the KDWP would put a limit on all these big flatheads taken from these small rivers. Alot of these set/trot liners in the country dont give a s%&t about the laws, and they rape the fishery. I think the only way to make it better, is for more game wardens to be hired , and police these small rivers on small water crafts all the time. All it would take is a few of these guys to be caught and ticketed, and the word would spread fast in these small towns, and these guys would be scared to do this anymore. Lord knows they dont want to pay the high fines. I just wrote all this to share a little something, and I really think hand fishing is gonna make it so much worse. Alot of these big flats lay dormant and only eat when a big bait fish swims close to it, these noodlers will look for the good undercut bank holes and big snags, and get these big fish outta there. It really chaps my hide to think of these guys driving around with 5-10 30+ lb. flatheads in the back of there trucks. They just better hope I dont see them, or Ill cost them alot more than those fines would have, and they wont see it coming or know who the hell I was. :wink:Sorry if this pisses off some set/trot line guys. If you guys are keeping 10 lb. and below fish, then I have no problem with you guys what soever. I really want a shot at a 100 + lb flathead in the future, and if this river was properly policed, and a new slot limit was put on Kansas flatheads, I think it would be possible. Hell, Chris Phillips caught a 90 lb. flathead outta the Walnut, and that river isnt half as long as the MDC. So I know it is possible. With CPR , breaking Ken Paulie's world record is possible in the future, but the 70 + lb. flatheads have to be released NOW !!! Good luck fishing everyone. :big_smile:

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    only one thing to say about this whole deal

noodlers
    there are not enought to hurt the population
    the argument of what fish should go back should not be done here lets keep it friendly and yes i believe in selective harvest but dont want to see us getting into a big deal over thios one here today :cool2:

12. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i also agree with everything you said there keith glad i am not the only one who feels that way i do run lines every so often but just to see what the water holds i NEVER even keep the fish i catch on a line no matter the size big or small its just a shame other people dont feel the same way..I am a very strong believer in CPR like i say alot of the time in some of my posts i only keep small eater channel and this year have not even done that i have to say that i proudly have released every fish i have caught this year back to its original waters..which throws the topic off subject but i have heard of people catchin big flats out of the big ark and throw them into the carey park ponds which is right on the other side of the river imo i think thats very wrong because you know who ever catches that fish wont put it back in the water its just very upsetting that we have so many careless so called fisherman out there...also i went with a fellow member fishing and he shared some pics with me and showed me a pic of these guys that caught some HUGH flatties out of the arkansas way back in the day sad thing is it was all on set lines and they kept every one of them..(thanx kyle for showing me the pics by the way:smile2::wink:..)

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Gus , you would be surprised if you knew how many people noodled all these years it was against the law. Up here close to the big city, Ive ran into guys at bait shops around town, and I always hear about it. Like I said before , sometimes thats the only way to get the real big boys.

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i am not disputong that people do it i just know of alot of old timers that did it before the laws got changed and they kinda got forgoten and still do it and show there kids there way of life

akot of indians where raised to do it and think they should be excempt from the laws on fish and game