Hand Feeding Hummingbirds

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by rebelzgrl76, Oct 17, 2006.

1. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Now this is too neat not to share. Id love to do this! :smile2:

Attached Files:

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Those are some great pictures, thanks for sharing...

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    my wife loves those bird she said thanks for sharing those pics

4. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wow, now that is tame! I've had them play in the water spray from the hose when I'm watering the flowers, but never land that way. Very cool :wink: Thank you for sharing those.

Carolyn

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    wow thats cool. My parents have alot of huming bird feeders. I like the feeders that go on a window. It's cool seeing them up close.

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i love those birds . thanks for shareing.

i went to a mans house to purchase a used washer/dryer a few miles outside of town that lived in the country up on a hill .
    i noticed he had dozens of hummingbird feeders all around his house .
    after talking to him a bit come to find out he would get hundreds of them every evening . we went up to his front porch and it was amazeing how many were feeding and buzzing around.
    he said this was a calm day that there were 3or 4 times as many usually
    it seemed like a hundred or more at this time so he really had a bunch .
    weve had some so small they look like bumblebees.

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    is it just me or does it look like the hummingbirds were inserted into the pic....

lol its just my keen eye lol

but cool pics nonetheless

8. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thats really cool. The ones we have here in NC are much smaller.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    To me they are one of the most amazing small birds there is. And yes they can get to be that tame. I put out 3-4 feeders every year but seem to only get a couple to show up.Did you know they are the only bird that can't walk. Thats what I've heard anyway. Thanks for sharing.

10. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    That is really awesome. Thanks for sharing.

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I have to admit, I agree with Jeff on this. Those look like doctored pics to me. But it would be very neat to really be able to do that, wouldn't it?! :big_smile:

12. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John, I'm almost 6 years here in NE Oklahoma and only had to remember to put out the feeders that first spring. Ever since, the little guys come to the bedroom and kitchen windows as soon as they hit the area and buzz around there letting me know that they're back in town! No kidding... I'll be making the bed or washing the dishes and look up ... and there's one or two hovering at the glass, waiting for me to notice :lol:

Maybe try next spring just putting up one or two feeders, so they don't have so many options. You can have them right at your window on a bracket, for a great view. Where there's sweet stuff, they forget their shyness!

Carolyn

13. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN

yea there fake..cool pics tho

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Amy, those are excellent pictures!
    When we camped in the CO Rockies we always had a couple feeders on the camper. Those little suckers would wake us every morning as they swarmed the feeders. There were more hummingbirds there than any place we've been. But I've never had them to feed from my hand.

I don't think the pictures have been edited, look at the one that shows the persons finger through the wing... if they are, they were done by a pro.

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the pics Amy. My wife brrought the same pictured home from work the other day. One of the naturalist sent them to her at work.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    They are the neatest birds and I miss them dearly when they leave here around 1 Oct.My cat and I cant wait until they return April/May.I put out 2 feeders visible from my kitchen bay window and enjoy watching them to no end.They have their own personalities and are very territorial.They fly from here all the way to the Yucatan Peninsula around Cozumel and Playa del Carmen.Cant blame them for that as I have done the same thing a few times :big_smile: :smile2: I have stood with my face inches from the feeder and as long as I didn't move they would come right up and feed.Shows you they have lots of courage also to come that close to my mug.:tounge_out: :crazy: They have only been gone 2 weeks but seems like it will be forever until April.:smile2:

17. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Fake or real, it really doesn't matter. They are amazing birds and cool pictures...W

18. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    WOW Amy, that is cool as crap. That would be pretty neat to come out of the house with that bowl of food and have them flock to you.

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i for one dont believe they were altered iv had them take coolaide from a glass in my hand before