Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This channel has entertaining videos with lots of great fish caught. Not a lot of time spent on tips and technique but it is fun to watch.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,297 Posts
Yes ive watched them all. Good stuff.

Reactions: Herbhome

·
Registered
626 Posts
Got a question. Every time I see these guy's on you tube catch a fish, they reel in a bunch of line before picking up the rod and fighting it. Why do they do that? Something to do with big fish? I don't look for big one's and when I get a bite simply set the hook and reel them in.

·
Premium Member
11,793 Posts
They are using circle hooks. A re-occuring mistake when using circle hooks is to try and set the hook like when using a J hook. Trying to set the hook, with a circle hook will literally pull the hook out of the fishes mouth. LARGE or small fish. What you see them doing is called reeling down and what it actually does is take up the slack in the line and pull the hook slowly allowing the circle hook to get into position to hook the fish most often in the corner of the mouth. It usually hooks in the corner of the mouth because the fish is seldom facing directly at you. If the fish is swimming away or to the side, the hook should go to the corner of the mouth.

So, if your using a J hook or Kahle, Pick up the rod and set the hook. If your using a circle hook, DO NOT pick up the rod. Reel down first. That is cranking the handle as fast as you can until the rod loads up. That maneuver gets the hook in the right place. Doing that and the fish set the hook. Then you can pick up the rod and fight the fish. I will sometimes (when at this point) give the rod an extra tug to insure the hook is fully imbedded.

Hope that clarifies it.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
For me who grew up using "J" hooks for bait fishing and pre rigged artificial for bass fishing not trying to dislocate the fishes jaw with a hook set was a hard habit to overcome. I have to admit the first year of "circle hook" fishing I lost a few by rearing back on the rod hard as soon as I felt the fish on the line, I knew better I just couldn't overcome the reflex. Like others have indicated, by reeling with rod in holder you are assisting the rod in what they call loading up which pulls the hook to the corner and into the fishes mouth. The best demonstration I have seen an angler took a paper cup like soft drinks come in at fast food joints, squeezed the mouth of the cup almost shut to simulate a fish mouth then put a circle on a leader into the cup and applied steady pressure pulling on the leader, most times the hook pulled to the side and into the cups mouth, when he gave a quick jerk most times the hook cleared the cup without grabbing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
They are using circle hooks. A re-occuring mistake when using circle hooks is to try and set the hook like when using a J hook. Trying to set the hook, with a circle hook will literally pull the hook out of the fishes mouth. LARGE or small fish. What you see them doing is called reeling down and what it actually does is take up the slack in the line and pull the hook slowly allowing the circle hook to get into position to hook the fish most often in the corner of the mouth. It usually hooks in the corner of the mouth because the fish is seldom facing directly at you. If the fish is swimming away or to the side, the hook should go to the corner of the mouth.

So, if your using a J hook or Kahle, Pick up the rod and set the hook. If your using a circle hook, DO NOT pick up the rod. Reel down first. That is cranking the handle as fast as you can until the rod loads up. That maneuver gets the hook in the right place. Doing that and the fish set the hook. Then you can pick up the rod and fight the fish. I will sometimes (when at this point) give the rod an extra tug to insure the hook is fully imbedded.

Hope that clarifies it.
Good explanation. I have tried picking the rod out of the holder and then reel down, but for some reason this has caused more misses. Pretty well broke that habit and now I reel down on it. The only time I don't is if the fish had hammered the rod down and was peeling drag. Then it should be set on it's own.

Hammerdown has some good videos and really gets on the flatheads. Local to me as well so cool to see some of our own water in the video's.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Circle hooks are hard to find around here so don't have very many. usually those Octopus hooks. I don't make a hard pull setting the hook, pretty much just lift the rod and hold on a moment, fish seem to hook themselves. I've watched them reel down on them, seems every one that knows what their doing does it. Now Catfish Dave when bank fishing grabs the rod and runs away from the bank. I don't get that? Is that the same as reeling down?

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave had so much line out on those deep casts I think that was his way off reeling down as quickly as possible.

·
Premium Member
11,793 Posts
That is what I think also Neill. A lot of line out with those 6 mile casts and Dave was using mono with a lot of stretch. The point the rod upward and run with it is his way of the right speed hooks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts