Halibut pellets

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by martin walker, Nov 20, 2005.

1. martin walker

martin walker New Member

I can see no mention of Halibut pellets in your threads, does this mean you do not have them in the USA?. They have proven to be the top bait in Spain where my clients this year have caught over 5,000 wels cats of which over 1,100 of them were over 100lb. I assure you this bait is a winner over here and I am sure it would be in the USA.

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    never heard of them here in the states. intrigued though what exactly are they?

3. martin walker

martin walker New Member

They are mainly fish meal and soya with large oil content (looks like a large trout pellet) I use the 21mm size with 2-12 on a hair rig.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    are they hard like dog food or something?

5. martin walker

martin walker New Member

Yes we drill them with a 2mm bit and thread them into a hair, I will try and find a picture and post it

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Martin, we have Fish Chow over here, ain't sure exactly what's in it. It's a lot smaller than the halibut pellets, 2-3mm, way to small for a hair rig.
    The past summer I did start using the fish chow as chum, and it's looking like it has great potential, this winter I'm going to try to find a good binder for it and try it in a method mix.
    Will

Attached Files:

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    How much do they cost a pack I sure would like to try them. :confused:

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Verlon, they cost 3.20 GB Pounds($5.50), I'm guessing that's a Kilo(2.2lbs).
    As for shipping, I'm guessing that it'll be between 5-10GBP($8.58-17.17). :crying:

9. martin walker

martin walker New Member

The pellets can be bought in Spain tackle shops for 59 euros per 25kg sack. The main supplier is Skretting part of Nutreco. They have outlets in Canada but I cannot see Halibut pellets just salmon pellets on the list. They also mention white sturgen on the web site but not the feed, might be worth a call? Our catch rate is over five times last years since changing from live baits (eels and carp) to the Halibut pellets. If you do find some and give them a go please let me know how you get on.
    Tight lines
    Martin

10. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Martin, do you think boilies would work?
    I can get some Halibut glug.
    Thinking about using the fish chow as a base and the glug for added flavor. Or makeing that combo into a stiff paste, and try it like that.
    Also going to try some CSL pellets, the ones I can get has a real good fishy smell to them.
    Will

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Martin, I talked to a few euro tackle dealers over here and found out that the halibut pellets can't be imported here.
    Will

12. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Those pellets do sound good on a hair rig. Perhaps we can simulate them somehow. I thought that those big wels would not notice such a small bait compared to live bait. Man, I'ld sure love to catch one of them and I have read that Spain has really nice large wels. I have caught channel cats often on strawberry boilies, but I am not sure how to do fishoil boilies. Perhaps some shad in the old blender with egg and flour? Hannibal Mike

13. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Got 5 gallons of Fish Chow and it's going to be a lot of experimenting.
    Did thought about mixing shad in the mix, but it would rot without a bunch of preservative. Think I'll go with the chow and fish oil. Just do 1 egg batches at a time until I get a good boilie.
    Will

14. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I bought fish chow in the past, and it disolves very quickly. Should make a good boilie. Also, I bought a very fine ground cornflour from a feed store near here. It is very sticky and does not breakdown in water very quickly. I called the company and they said that it was used as a binder to make hog and cattle feed pellets. It is mixed at a high temp (steam) and forced out holes to form the pellets. Anyway, I hope to try it with the fish chow or shad when the weather warms this spring. I wonder if they were fishing the pellets on the bottom for wels or suspended. Hannibal Mike (at least it might not attract gar)

15. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Talked to my bait and tackle dealer, and looks like we might be able to get some halibut pellets imported. Will know more later this week.
    Will

16. notimetofish

notimetofish New Member

State:
    van buren,arkansas
    do ya'll use that danny king punch bait. i'm thinking of buying some but wanted everybodys opinon. thanks

17. Mr. Catfish

Mr. Catfish Member

State:
    Indianapolis, I
    You can order halibut pellets on ebay, i just ordered some...

18. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I prefer the blood, the originial is good also, I haven't tried the garlic yet.
    Will