Half housecat, half bobcat?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by jlingle, Feb 7, 2009.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    What do you guys make of this cat? I didn't trap it, it was laying dead next to the road about 100 yards from my dad's house. We've seen bobcats around here in the past (we live out in the middle of nothing, with almost no cover nearby) and we've also seen bobtailed domestic cats forever. This is the first time I've actually laid eyes on a cat that looked like it was half & half. This is one darn big domestic cat, if that's what it is. This thing is probably 20 lbs, or darn close. Anyway, what do yall think?

This thing has a bobcat tail, a bobcat belly, a domestic cats head, and a domestic cat's side markings..... but has spots along its belly and legs. Weird.

Attached Files:

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Man .... that sure is a strange looking critter ... I don't see why the 2 speicies wouldn't cross under the right circumstances ... you might talk to you game and fish people they might like to have it so they can run genetics on it or something..... Garry-

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My old aunt that lived in Monroe County down by Woodsfield Ohio had mix's all the time. Of coarse you could only have the female domestic cat around to see the kittens. As far as twenty pounds goes I have had two domestic cats that went that much and more and they weren't fat either. The spots on the underside are true to mackerel tabbies. They are refereed to as vest buttons. I think you just have a big male domestic cat that lost his tail, or maybe a cross. :cool2:

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jerrod, reports do exist of intermating, but it is questioned and questionable.

Was that cats ears tips tufted? Typically with an inter cross you should see a tufted ear tip, like a bobcats.

There is a cat, large, with longer than normal hair called a Maine coon cat with similar markings, but the hair is longer than pictured in your roadkill.

My guess is you have a large DSH (Domestic Shorthair) that couldn't do the Ali shuffle fast enough.

John.

5. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Thats sure what it looks like to me!

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

:smile2: Yep, a fat cat who waddled. :sad2:

Here are a few links concerning intermating and hybridization, if y'all are interested. As PB said, there have always been reports of bobcat/housecat crosses.....but it's never been proven genetically.

http://www.messybeast.com/genetics/hybrid-smallcats.htm

http://www.messybeast.com/small-hybrids/rufus-lynx-hybrids.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felid_hybrid
    (See Domestic Cat & hybridization)

7. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    Around here all that the bobcats like to do with housecats is eat them, but maybe those OK. bobcats are either desperate or have poor vision

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Have something to share in regards to crossbreeding....Recently a customer of mine (I Have a trapping license), called me to trap some feral cats that were setting off his outside motion sensor on his business alarm. In no time I trapped several.

I took them out to our hunting lease & released them, in a very short period of time i or other lease members found the remains of most of them. Most of which was evident of being clawed to death.

I had a conversation with a biologist about that & he stated, that it is very common for Bobcats to kill house cats/ feral cats as a territorial type instinct.

While I have no scientific proof to validate this, It did appear that something was very unhappy with their presence. If it wasn't the Bobcats..what else was it ?????????:confused2:

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It was a Bobcat. (in my opinion) Those 'Ol boys do Not tolerate feral or tame cats in their territory. They do not even tolerate males of their own kind in their territory. That is why they are spreading so far. The young males are driven out, unless they can win the fight and must seek another territory.

10. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I think it is a big house cat. I wouldnt think the two would cross.

Tom

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good posts all. I remember years ago a friend had a bob tailed cat called a MANX or some referred to it as a CABBIT[half cat /rabbit] because they had larger hind legs and would sometimes hop. The tail on yours certainly resembles a wild bobcat,But if the ears aint tufted as John says ,I doubt it is a cross.

12. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    Looks to me like he was a slow runner on his ninth life. (domestic , no more friskies for him)

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I belive what you have is a big ole feral cat I have seen them that large after a few generations they revert back to that color

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well fellers, I have a question. Does anyone know of a site or link where I can HEAR what a bobcat sounds like? I've read here on the BOC that once you hear one, you'll never forget it.

The reason I am asking is because a few months back, Annie (my pet cat) was outside. It was WAY after dark, in the wee hours of the morning....and I heard SOMETHING out there; it was a cry/wail I'd never heard before. Occasionally a feral cat or neighbor's cat will travel across my property and get into it with Annie - this was definitely NOT one of them. I ran to the front door and hollered for Annie immediately; not that it was necessary, she was standing at the door, her tail big as a house, scared to death.

I know a lady who was a counselor at a Girl Scouts camp near here one summer. A "cat" was under one of the vehicles there. Blenda decided she was going to reach under there and pull out what she thought was a feral housecat. She got a rude awakening, what was beneath was a bobcat. Poor girl had to undergo that awful series of rabies shots.

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Just recently, not far from me,was a yard worker who was attacked by a Bobcat, it was NOT captured but assumed to be rabid as it is NOT common for them to have ANY contact with humans.

More urban sprawl ?????????

16. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    You have a large feral cat in the picture. No more quail for him. Catfishjon

17. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    FLUFFY!!!
    what have you done to FLUFFY???

18. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Im working on finding some audio files for ya. In the mean time, picture a cross between a baby crying/wailing and a cat in heat. Thats the best I can explain it. The first time I heard it, I was coyote hunting, alone in the dark. It was prolly about 200 yards away and it will most definately make the hair on your neck stand on end!!

19. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    House cat done spent the last of his 9 lives.

20. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Tanya am not sure about internet bobcat's sound's :smile2: But i'll tell you what ...It's 4:30 in the morning the local cat's are in HEAT and the male's are in all there glory fighting for breeding right's right under your bedroom window :crazy::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: Can you say Heart Attack!!!!!!!!!