Hair Rig Hookups

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by alands94, Jul 19, 2008.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Went out last week and conducted an experiment. On one rod I fished a small boilie (12mm) on a hair rig bolt setup with a small #4 hook. On the other rod I fished canned corn soaked in strawberry Jello directly on the #4 hook. Ended up catching 7 carp on the corn rig and NONE on the boilie rig. I got lots of hits and a few runs, but no hookups. I experimented lengthening the length of the hair loop as well as shortening the distance so the boilie was touching the bottom of the hook. I also tried letting the fish run as well as setting the hook. Unfortunately, nothing worked. Any suggestions?

2. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I'd say stick to the corn.:tounge_out:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    corn has been better here,,, we tried hair jigs and peanut butter,,, didn't get a hit....rollo

4. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Yeah ive also done very well with corn i cought a 10 lber and 2 8lbers off of corn and ive never changed:cool2:

5. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    It might have simply been your bait. The carp were probably mouthing the boilie. I use corn on hair-rigs all of the time, and have no problems with hookups. I use boilies on hair-rigs also and catch plenty of carp. They were probably checking the boilies out. Don't give up on them, they are a great bait. You might want to change the style of hook, that you use for your hair-rig. Check out these Owner hooks - second down (SSW with super needle point). They are expensive, but they really work good for hair-rigs. I use them and they are great.
    http://www.ownerhooks.com/pages/products/hooks/allpurposebaithooks.htm