Had to take my little dog to the vet.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Jan 3, 2009.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't know what,but something attacked our little dog when she went outside this morning. She started really kickin up a fuss,and Steve went to investigate.He found her near some trees with a bloody leg. Took her to the vet and was told she has two puncture wounds on her left hock. She won't walk at all cause it hurts so we just placed her in a cage. Vet gave her an antibiotic shot and some Arthritis meds for her pain. Hope she gets better soon.Would like to know what animal attacked her as we now live out in the Country. We have a terrible problem with coyotes in the summer,so were thinking either that or a Bobcat.:confused2::confused2::sad2:

2. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Awww so sorry to hear that Sister Powell. I really hope that she gets better REAL soon!

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Pat, hope your dog is feeling better.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Pat, the country can be a cruel place for a little critter, maybe she needs a BIG friend to watch her back like a shepard or bulldog or something. Hope she's feeling better..:wink:

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

It's good to know that your l'il canine girl had her rabies shot Pat. Otherwise, we'd have another thing to worry about!

Hard to believe in this day and age that there are still some folks who DON'T make sure their pets have rabies vaccinations, but it happens all the time in my area of NC.

Hard times, YES. Rabies clinics, YES. Just a bit of research on a person's part can provide them with the dates/times regarding the clinics. Around here the rabies shot at a clinic costs about $5, last I checked.

Here's wishing your sweetie gets better soon Pat. Sorry she had to endure the trauma of being bitten, and what has ensued, and hope you don't mind me bringing up the rabies thing. I think it's very important.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Just got mine done, rabies, bordetella, DA2P and parvovirus, 40.00 for all. Damn that needle hurt.:roll_eyes:

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm a firm believer in rabies vaccine,as well as good vet care all around. This morning,she still isn't walking. I'm wondering if she has injuries that the vet didn't find. May very well take her back tomorrow. She won't eat or drink and she wimpers alot.:sad2::sad2:Sister Pat

8. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Praying for a good end to this let us know how she is doing

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Pat you don't need no more trauma in your life.Take care of that little girl.You might consider building a (small pen) for her to go out in.Just cause you live in the country it still isn't safe for them to run free.Except when your out with them.JMHO> Keep us informed as to how the puppy is doing.

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have suspicioned there was something going on other a bite. My suspicions were confirmed. She apparentarily was hit by a car,but we didn't see anything or hear anything except for her yelping. We took her to a different vet,he shot xrays and showed us she has a broken hip,and pelvis. He was very positive that Snookie will heal it's just gonna take some time. Meanwhile I am to keep her caged,try to force her to take a few small sips of water and or chickenbroth. Also he said to feed her babyfood. So I will atempt to nurse her back to health. He gave her a long lasting antibiotic,long lasting steroid,to take the swelling down from the nerves.Wants her to have a dose of Glucosimine Chrondroitin with MSN joint lubricant and be prepared to wait. I'll keep ya all updated with her progress.:sad2:

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I'm glad to hear snookie will be ok. We had a dog injured the exact same
    way. You want to confine her in as small a place as possible while she is
    mending. Also it might not be wise to bred her in the future because of
    the pelvis bones having to expand during birth of the puppies.

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hope she has a speedy recovery Pat, we know she's in good hands.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sorry to hear ya pooch got hit but glad ya found out exactly what is wrong. Dogs are tougher than us humans by far and will likely heal fine. Hope so anyway.

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Happy to hear you found out what happened.Hopefully it will be a speedy recovery.Like Country Hart said dogs are tougher than us humans so she'll probably heal pretty quick.
    I say it again build her a fenced in area to play in and potty in.After she heals up that is.It will be a lot safer and cheaper in the long run.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Glad to hear that the dog is on the mend now,They are most times much more than just pets to us,I know ours are all members of the FAMILY.:wink:

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We have had sucess in drinking and eating. She even drank water without the help of a syringe. We are keeping her in a small cage to lesson any unneeded movement. The vet was right about baby food,shoot she lapped it right up.As far as breeding her is concerned can't she has been spayed.:big_smile_2:

17. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had always heard of the place just never visited. We took Snookie to Angel Vet Express. This place isn't only a vet's office but also a NO KILL SHELTER. I mean they got horses,cats dogs a couple domesticated wolves,you name it they probably have it. Many people volunteer to help take care of these animals. All proceeds,including what the vet charges goes to keep these animals fed and in good health. The vet was so kind and gentle.When he taken Steve out to view the xrays,I overheard him say it would cost thousands of dollars to go into surgery to repair the breaks,5 all totaled. I knew my husband was wondering if it would be better to put her down,so as soon as he came back in with me,I told him not to even suggest it because they don't put animals to sleep at this facility. I'm happy there are vets out there who doesn't jump and say well it's best to put the animal down. Just wanted to share with ya,and wondered how many of you have access to a NO KILL FACILITY? I think there neat.:cool2::smile2: