Had to rescue some guys on the river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mr.T, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Went fishing yesterday evening on the Missouri just below La Benite park, didn't catch anything but ran into a disabled boat on the way back upstream.

Three idiots in an old beat-up Richline V-bottom had torn their prop off while coming out of a creek (they didn't know about the 3 ft stump at the mouth of the creek). It's 8:30 at night, dark and getting darker, they've got no running lights, no flashlights and no way to get home. They had been sitting there for about 90 minutes when I came along and really didn't know what to do -- they were 2 miles down from the ramp where they put in and probably 3 miles upriver from the next ramp, with no civilization to speak of anywhere nearby.

Ended up having to tow them 2 miles upriver to the ramp, in the dark, which was an adventure in itself.

If you're going to go out in the late afternoon or evening, especially on the river, please make sure you're prepared. And if you have only one means of propulsion, go UPSTREAM instead of downstream - at least then you might be able to float back to the ramp if you need it...

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Good thing for them that you came along...I have been broken down on the Ohio, and it is no fun, but at least i have a trolling motor to get back to the ramp

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv rescued people before , sometimes it cant be helped if a boat flags you then by law i believe you have to help . iv gave a few a tow like i said and some are very greatful some even offer up gas money although i wouldnt take it . here in ky we have a rescue ranger lol he offers a tow at a price this guy makes a living off other peoples missfortune . the thing i hate worse about giving a tow is it always cuts into my fishing lol i gave one old guy and his grandson a tow and ended up taking the boy back out and he caught a nice 5# flathead made his night hed never been cattin before he said . one night in a cat tourny my bro and his partner broke down and i had to tow them in cost me first place did get second they got first thanks to me spending 4 hours towing them in lol

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive helped others and others have helped me on the Ohio River. I think your right by law if someone is flagging you down you have to give aid, now why dont the barges help out.:lol: JK I know the barges arent going to help.

5. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, you did the right thing brother. You never know, maybe these guys will do the same thing and help someone else down the line. And then those people will do the same and so on and so on. See the trend you may have just started? Good job brother.

6. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Like everyone else has said, you did the right thing. It may have not have been a lot of fun but you did what you were supposed to do.

I want to thank you for mentioning about going upstream to fish, especially if it is near dark. A lot of people leave the dock with the intentions of not having problems. Then when they do, they are not prepared for it. I am glad that you bring it up, because it is good to remind how important it is to be prepared in all situations.

I have a little boat and a small motor. I always leave the dock and go upstream for the simple fact that if my motor dies, I am toast if I go downstream.

Thanks for the reminder and you will be rewarded in some way for helping those guys....it may just come in the form of something big on a hook!! :big_smile:

Ryan

7. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Good for you,Marty. We are all proud of you for helping those guys out. I always carry my cell phone, just in case. Murphy's law can get you when least expected. Points to you my friend.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you for being neighborly! It's getting harder and harder to find good folk like you. You was ablessing to those straned people.------------pk powell:big_smile:

9. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    As it has been stated already, it was the right thing to do. Reps to ya.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Man how long is that walking trail that goes a long the south bank going down river from La Benite park. I don't know about you, but I would of been walking. Who wants to sit in the boat stuck.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Last year we towed a johnboat with 2 fellows in it up river probably 8 miles to Clarksville<mo. they ran out of gas.Wasn't really thier fault,it was his dads boat and according to the gas gauge they had a half a tank. WRONG. It was a big boat ,150 hp merc and two guys weighing i'd say 230 each. lot of weight for a 16 ft boat with a 50 hp yamaha on it. It was a strain but we got them there safe and sound.Kind of messed up the fishing plans though. Thiers and ours.

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If your gonna be stuck in a boat waiting and hoping for help to come by ,you may as well be fishing to pass some time .RIGHT?

13. Big Merc

Big Merc New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    People of all kinds appreciate your generosity. (not sure about the spelling)

You made their night better, know that much.

Repped you!!

14. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    You did the right thing, only thing you could do really. I pulled in a jet ski a few years back....kind of ironic since I've cussed em a million times but what ya gonna do?:roll_eyes: I towed him in and he thanked me and I got on with my fishing.

15. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had the same thing happen to me earlier this summer, but I was in a night tourney at the time! All I heard was Help....Help! So I immediately reeled the poles in and took off toward the boat floating down the river. Come to find out it was 3 drunk guys that ran out of gas and didn't know where they were at! That right there is an accident looking for a place to happen! 3 drunk guys on the river after dark..... It made me pretty upset to find out that I had to take my time away from a tourney to go help 3 inconsiderate people, I gave them the 5 gallons of gas I had in a spare tank in my boat and went on my way...I might add I never heard a thankyou one for the 5 gallons of $2.50 gas I GAVE them! Oh well....I help them once but if I ever see that particular boat on the water again and they ask for help, I am going to keep on going! I think thats against the law, but oh well, I will take a ticket before I help people that don't appreciate it!

16. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Let me tell you about an experence i had on the lake one day this was a few years back, the mishap was my fault but that doesnt give any one an excuse for not helping a fellow boater on the lake, I was fishing on the river down on cape fair one day and my motor jumped off of the transom into the water. i was by myself and grabed my motor just as it sunk in the river was holding it by the wiring and boats were all around me and i was calling for help,but no one, even tho they saw what had happened did not offer to help ( if i would of had a shotgun there would have been fewer boats in the water that day ) finally an older gentleman in a boat more weather beaten than mine came up along side me and helped me get y motor in to the boat( i could not lift it by myself) then he towed me to the boat ramp I offered to pay him but he would not take it frome that day forward I will help any one that is stranded in the lake.

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah there are some crappy minded people out there. I help who I can cause one day I know I will need the help too

18. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Sounds like you had quite the adventure! I wouldn't dream of going out without the proper equipment especially on a boat! Glad there are people like yourself that are still willing to help out a neigbor. Your a good man!