Had a visitor this morning

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cook, Jun 1, 2007.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    put a smile on my face,nice way to start the day

Attached Files:

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    What is it I would run away screaming like a little girl if I saw a bug that big :crazy:. BG nothing from the peanut gallery :big_smile:

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Looks like a Luna moth- but haven't seen one with those kinds of edges to it's wings.

4. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All I can say is WOW!!!! That's cool. I don't see those very often. My children found a cacoon years ago and we put it in an empty hamster cage so they could watch it emerge. Well months went by and nothing happened. they kinda forgot about it and the cage was in their closet. about 6 months later we kept hearing this noise, and that is what it was. that thing had come out and was trying to fly around in that cage, so we took it outside and set it free by the tree that we originally found the cacoon on. That was about 10 years ago and I've not seen one since. that's a good picture.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks. Thats pretty cool.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I've only seen a luna moth in person three times in my life. One incident was quite recent.....last fall I found a cocoon. They're weird, not like normal fuzzy looking cocoons, but brown and papery. Oval, like a l'il purse shape almost. Anyhow, I didn't KNOW at the time that it was a luna moth cocoon. Kutter (Tom) helped me identify it AS a cocoon, but I never knew what was in it until it emerged. I had it in a quart jar, and I'm not sure how long it had been out before I discovered that. It couldn't spread it's wings to dry in there, not enough room. They were stuck that way, all curled up and sticky, then dry and hard. I felt TERRIBLE and I cried :sad2:. Later on I was telling this story to someone in chat, and he said "Well, at least you cared about it. Most of US would have used it as BAIT." That helped a l'il bit, because there's definitely some truth to that statement :big_smile:. But I still feel bad about helping to kill something that is so beautiful, and rare for me to see :embarassed:.

Thanks for the picture Jon.....what a neat visitor to help you greet the morning :smile2:.

7. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We didn't know that's what it was either when we put it in there. The only reason it was in the cage is because I didn't have a jar to put it in. I remember searching the house for something to use. I am glad that it was big enough for it to spread it's wings, cause like you I woulda cried if we had harmed it.:smile2:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks for sharing!!! That thing is cool & huge!!! Thanks again Bro!!!

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Wow thats neat ive heard of them but never seen one before!!

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    New to me. Never even heard of it. Neat. Thanks for sharing. See I haven't got to old to learn.

11. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    What the heck is that thing cool picture.

12. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the picture, Jon! Almost looks like a little mini alien spaceship :lol:

13. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Never seen a moth that big before. Thanks for sharing

14. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    I've seen several moths, some fairly big but that is a very big moth. Its very pretty and my girls would've loved that thing.

Thanks for sharing. :smile2:

15. lil fishy

lil fishy New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You were very lucky to see one of those, they're really rare.

16. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i would smash it, a bug that big at my house doesnt get to live! lol

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks for the lesson on bugs. Had never heard of or seen one before. Taht thing sure is big.

18. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

19. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats cool thanks for the pic

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i happened to stumble onto one a few years ago while doing fiber optic installation near Earlsbourogh OK. they are neat and beautiful creatures . Thanks for sharing.