Had a great birthday

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catinaldatime, Jul 20, 2008.

1. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    friday was my birthday,dan and i went to coffeen,dan ended up with a 40 pound flat and we caught a couple little channel.anytime we get a flathead in tha boat im a happy man,great birthday.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great B-day to me, congrats on the catch and good luck in the future

3. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Well Charlie had a choice of locations to go on his birthday. He chose Coffeen Lake. Well everything seemed to fall in place perfectly. We was able to catch perfect sized 4"-6" bluegill quickly and had a perfect breeze for drifting. I was using a 3/8oz bullet weight that Paul (DH4) had made for the Rend Lake gathering on the main line. I used a #2 swivel then I had a 12"long leader of 25# Big game mono tied to a Gama 8/0 octopus circle hook. We caught two channels on our first drift. It was hot and we were the only ones on the lake. We pulled back up to our flathead hole and started to basically jig our drift rigs since we were in a wind break and weren't moving. We wasted about half an hour before using the troll motor to create a drift. Other boats started showing up on the lake as evening started to cool things down some. We trolled out until the wind finally picked us back up. We drifted out a little ways and one of my rods started bending slowly downward, I looked at my other rod and at Charlie's to see if our drift speed was causing the bend. I asked Charlie if it looked like a hang up. He said fish on. This is the first big fish I have hooked on a drift. It was not a channel cat or blue cat type of hit, but a flathead hit. I grabbed my rod out of the holder. It was obviously a bite by now. The rod was starting to bounce instead of just bending. I began by trying to reel and told myself do not set the hook. The rod started to go down and the fish started to take drag. Charlie started pulling in the other rods. Charlie let out his war hoop. I can only imagine what the other boats were think as they watched me standing up in the boat with my rod bent way over and the boat spinning in circles as the fish pulled us around. We finally got the fish in the boat and I believe we both let out a war hoop. Don this fish made up for the last ones lack of resistance. I really enjoyed Charlie's birthday party. Here is a picture of a hard fighting fish. Not the biggest at 40# but fought much bigger than his size. Can't wait for Charlie's next birthday party.:smile2::wink::smile2:

Attached Files:

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    now thats definitly good to hear. great pic and im glad you guys had a good time. happy birthday!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Charlie a late Happy Birthday. Were glad you enjoyed your special day..Thanks for the fishing report.

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    That is awesome Charlie... A shame it was so bloody hot, but a nice haul nontheless. Happy belated bro.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    happy belated birthday

8. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Happy belated birthday. Glad you were able to get a good fish out of it. My birthday falls in April, not a whole lot going on then. But maybe next year I might get lucky on my B-day.

9. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Happy belated birthday. That is one incredibly nice fish. I fish Coffeen somewhat regularly and I know there are flatheads in there, but the only things I ever seem to catch there are fiddlers. I'm glad to see something like that come outta there. It keeps the motivation up!:smile2:

10. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    thank all of u for posting i really appreciate it,yall r a great bunch of anglers.

11. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Glad to hear you had a good b-day Charlie by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLIE :tounge_out:

12. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Now until late November the flats will be more aggressive at Coffeen, Brent. We will have to get together and share our knowledge about the lake. By the way that fish is still swimming them there waters with about six others around that size that I have caught there in the last year and a half. I am waiting for them to get to the triple digits.:wink:

13. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I would like to take you up on that.

14. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Happy belated birthday Charlie. Sorry I did't see this thread sooner.