Had a decent trip to the SC coast hunting this past weekend

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Ghost River, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    We left home about midnight Thursday night and drove to Myrtle Beach to meet up and hunt with my cousin, Micheal Highsmith, Friday morning. I hunted with him out of his boat that morning in the Old Waccamaw River. We killed 2 mallards and screwed up a bunch of wood ducks we could have gotten. We went back to my uncles house and crashed for a few hours before getting up to drive to Kingstree, SC to their deer hunting club. We had to get to camp by boat and man the black river is shallow this year. They deer hunted that evening and I sat on the river looking for ducks to fly in. Wad killed a nice doe right before supper.

Saturday morning most of them deer hunted but Micheal, Wad, and I took the Terra(my dog) and one of the 4 wheelers, and rode to very shallow pond in the middle of the woods that the beavers built by daming up a creek. When the horizon started lightening up, the wood ducks flew like crazy but it was such tight shooting quarters you about couldn't get a shot off. Micheal and I killeda couple of drakes before they quite. We packed up camp around lunch, loaded the boat and went back down the river to the trucks. We drove back to M.B. for the big family Christmas / New Years party. My uncle Ricky hired the pro's to do the fireworks again and they put on a great show. We left the party early though to get decoys and the gear together for our Sun. morning hunt in the salt marsh where the Waccamaw, Pee Dee, and Santee rivers all flow into the ocean.

Up at 3:30 to meet Micheal and another cousin of mine, Brian Duncan. We got on the water about 5AM and ran about 7 miles to the marsh. Man that is an intimidating place. Probably 30-50,000 acres of rivers, bays, marsh grass, creeks, ditches and dikes all twisting on the way to the ocean. We were out of our element and didn't set up in a good spot. I never fired a shot but did see lots of ducks in the distance an heard gunshots for miles around. It was 68 degrees and the mosquitoes like to eat us alive. After the hunt we did a bit of exploring, trying to learn the area and ended up about 600 yards from the Atlantic Ocean. That was close enough for me in a jon boat. Micheal, in his boat that is just scary fast (16ft fiberglass with a tiller handle 60 MERC.), ended up running out of gas and had to be towed in by Wad. It's a good thing he had a nice rope on his boat but it sure hurt his pride for his Mercury to be towed in by a Johnson. We washed the salt off the boats, cleaned the salt and new rust off the shotguns, and went to bed.

Monday morning we packed up and hunted a spot near the Waccamaw/ Bull Creek area. I can't disclose the location but it is a wood duck hot hole. I mean all you need to hunt there is a skeet choke in your gun and the discipline to quite when you kill your limit. We headed home about mid-morning, tired, a little beat up, worn thin, but smiling. I can't wait until the next trip. Maybe we'll squeeze one more trip in before the season goes out at the end of the month. Til next time...

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like you made the rounds ,Colt . thanks for sharin ,That sounded like yall had a blast.

3. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Oh we had a ball. Here's a couple pics I took

Attached Files:

4. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Thanks Colt, going to try the geese again in the morning I'll let you know the results.

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Nice pics, We have been whack'en and stack'en on the Mo river this year. Looks like you had a great hunt

6. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    We did fair Saturday morning 2 mallards, 2 gadwall, and 5 geese. Had a lot more work that would not finish due to bad wind direction and our hole keep freezing up.

7. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I hunted this past weekend at 99 islands area of the broad river and didn't see a single bird. Had to wait in line to put my boat in. Lots of pressure. the birds probably moved on.

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    hey jess, sounds like u watch flyway highway---i love watching those guys they are funny to watch-finally they show some ppl who actually miss once in a while!!!!

9. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Hate to cause controversy but I can't stomach that show, man. I think it's horrible, LOL. Rumor has it that it is out for nxt season and will be replaced by RNT-V, but it's just a rumor right now.