Had a Bluegill Blast Saturday!!

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by NCCatter, May 8, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went with my dad and a friend to his grandpa's pond in SC Saturday and threw some jugs for cats and took the ultralites for some bluegills. Had 4 tubes of crickets and a couple boxes of nightcrawlers. Crawlers were for channels, crickets were for gills. Started out with a 3 lb. bass on ultralite tackle, what a blast! We were catching bluegills big as a small hubcap all morning long, with the best action from 10-12. They were really dark and had those big bumps on their head. Every once in a while we would hook up with a hungry channel cat on the ultralites, and that was spectacular trying to get them to the boat! They would try their best to stay on the bottom and all we could do was hold on and tire them out. The last cast of the day my friend hooked into a channel right next to the bank and right away we knew it was a hoss. He had the little Shakespeare literally bent in half and the top 3 or 4 guides under the water. My friend was just trying to hold on and not break the line when, after 4 or 5 minutes of tension, the cat went under the boat and we think he got wrapped around the anchor line and broke off! We saw his tail a couple times and estimated that he was at least 8 pounds, if not more. That was the most fun fishing trip I have had in a long time, and the best part was I got to share it with my dad, who started me on my fishing addiction way back about 20 years ago.

2. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Good going on the gils. I went to Geary State Lake yesterday (in Kansas) to catch crappie and ended up catching 25 huge gils, big and dark with the humps also. Too bad about the cat getting away but them gils are good eating too.

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    That sounds like a great day of the best kind of fishing:smile2: .