Habitat Destruction At Lewisville Lake in Texas

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by james, Mar 3, 2006.

1. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    (CBS 11 News) LEWISVILLE The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says it has a man-made disaster on its hands. More than 100 acres of flooded timber were cut down on a section of Lewisville Lake, known as Hickory Creek.

The area is prime fish habitat, but the destruction could impact anyone who uses the lake.

The Hickory Creek area of Lewisville Lake may never be the same.

Park Ranger Steve Lindamood, explained how the crime was committed.

“Whoever did it, crossed the creek channel here onto the island, cut that down, then they crossed to the other side and cut all that down too.”

Late last fall, someone took chainsaws and cut down at least 4,000 stumps in the lake bed. The low water level exposed some stumps as tall as 12 feet.

“It's basically like deforestation in the rain forest. So what do you have left? Basically a little desert micro-niche in that area,” Lindamood said.

When the lake is full, the flooded timber provides critical habitat for fish. The affected area covers more than 130 acres.

“From what I understand on the district level, we've never seen this amount of habitat destruction in one location,” Lindamood said.

The ranger says all species of fish in the lake depend on protected structure.

Lewisville Lake recently gained national attention following a high profile bass tournament.

The lake's largemouth bass record was shattered during the tournament, and has been topped twice since then.

Lindamood explained that the micro system in the water is what keeps the natural resource on the lake, since most of the lake is used for recreation.

The destruction goes far beyond fish habitat. Eventually more water will come into the area, floating down timber and creating a hazard for anyone on the water.

Without the natural barriers, more waves will crash against the shoreline, increasing the erosion.

“Whoever did this might have thought they were helping out, but they weren't helping out they were actually making it worse,” Lindamood said.

The federal government is investigating the incident.

Officials say they trying to find out who cut down the timber and exactly how much damage was done.

A restitution plan is also being put together, so if the culprit is found, damages can be sought from that person.

Investigators are also asking for the public's help with this case. If you have any information, you're encouraged to contact the U.S Army Corps of Engineers.

(CBS 11 News)

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    someone is a complet moron not only did they screw up a good fishing area but now when the water comes back up there will be lots of floating timber that will cause a boating hazard. Why would someone cut down over 4,000 stumps?

3. Catfishmomma

Catfishmomma New Member

State:
    Irving, Texas

People who don't care for fishing or ruining nature James. Reading about this on your last post really ticks me off. Probably in their minds they believed that they were helping while in reality they were making a mess.
    I just pray that no one does have an accident with their boats. It could cause a bad boating hazard.

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Im thinking someone cleared them out for skiing or something like that. One of my favorite spots to fish is under trees that water turkeys roost on.

5. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Probably them PETA people!!!!

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I wounder how they got away with all that cutting and no one heard or seen them doing it ? It must of been the skiers or maybe one of those big party boats wants to get back in there this summer. Either way that really sucks. I hope someone gets popped for this !

7. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Im wondering if a devloper had something to do with it. Im betting this was more than one person. ive cut down alot of trees, for just one person to cut down 4,000 trees it would have taken a long time.

8. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    Rumor has it that a contractor had someone do it. It was all cut right in front of a new housing development going in. I'm sure someone will figure out who did it.

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Well now that makes total sence. Should they be allowed to do something like that just because they will be building homes there ? Somehow they should have to put habitat back into the water from which they destoryed it.

10. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    this was not right at all and its a must that they have to put it all back. think about it, not only is this messing up the catfish habitat this is also messing up crappie, bass, gills, all other fish, plus the water turkeys use those trees to roost in. i dunno maybe i just dont under stand. Guess i should just move into one of those houses buy a huge ski boat that has way to much HP than i need to ski with but gets me 80mph around people in boats fishing and buy a couple jetskis then i would be okay with the trees being cut down.:mad:

11. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I wonder if that company that's putting up that lakeside property realizes what they've just done. Up here in Illinois we've got a lot of reservoirs that are silting up from all the erosion because they cut down most of the timber when the flooded the lake. That timber acted as a natural wave break to keep the shore from getting undercut. Hope they don't plan on building too near the lake shore, because in ten years they might just be in it.

12. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa

well at least then there will be some good habitat in the area if that happens

13. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    James, the Dallas Morning New paper had the story in there today complete with pics. They say is is gonna be awhile before they know the exact damage and cost, no ne knows who may have dones this either......

14. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    make you wonder what some people are thinking well in this case not thinking

15. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    sounds like the media is getting wind of what happen, maybe someone who knows who did it will read it and come forward.