H2O Mellon - The Goldfish Abuser

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by H2O Mellon, Apr 11, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well the tank is looking pretty good now. I added 47 goldfish today in the 3-5 inch range, 3 in the 7-8 inch range & 1 in the 9-10 inch range. Below is a pic of the tank with the goldfish. I also have several nice Golden Shiners, Isreal Carp, etc.... they have a zillion names, me I just call them Goldfish that havent chnaged colors yet. I figure to take 3 dozen or so this weekend, just in case there are a couple flatheads that want a snack. ;)

I also ahd my son take a pic of me holding one of the bigger ones. My wife claims that I am not allowed to use the really big pretty ones. :sad:

What are peoples experieces w/ goldfish? Is bigger always better? I for one like to use them in the 5-7 inch range. I feel like Flatheads as well as large channels will hit them.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Looks like a bunch of good bait there Mellon.

3. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Mellon where do you get your goldfish from?

4. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good lookin bait tank man! Good luck with the goldfish! I have only actually caught one blue on a goldfish, but Im not sure if bigger is always better on them.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i cant really comment on goldfish, think i have used 3 in my whole life. whats your address man?:D

6. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I don't use the larger gold fish as live bait, I use them as cutbait. There color makes them stand out in the dark depths of the water, so for me they work just as good or better than bluegill cutbait.

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I see the Gnome is back just in time for flathead season....look out Jack...don't get near him!...LOL:eek:

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    tank looks to be outside in the pics. have you made a racoon proof top for your tank. it would suck to go for bait and find a fat coon with a tooth pick in his mouth savoring the last tasty morsels.

9. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    Nice looking tank there Mellon. What kind of filter set up do you have on it...goldfish are really dirty fish.

I don't use them live over 5-6 inches but have always had good luck with them.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just shows how a person jumps to conclusions... I thought Mellon had done something - AGAIN. Sorry Mellon. lol

11. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    goldfish can be killer bait at times for me...i usually keep them in the 5-7" range myself...i've even caught a 4 1/2 lb. smallmouth with a goldish....

12. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

Do the goldfish really stand out at night compared to other fish, or is it just during the day?

13. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

Use the big ones and dont let the ol'lady scare ya!!!!

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess I would use them for cut bait if I had to, but I'm nto sure if they wold be any better as cut bait vs shad. I mean the fish hit cut bait becasue of small, not color, right? :confused:

I am a big fan of using goldfish.. I used to wade the Great Miami for smallmouth & use feeder goldfish, the kind that are 25cents at pet shops and stuff. They worked real well for smallies, crappie, BIG bluegills & Rockbass tore 'em up!

15. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    hey mellonhead, where ya fishing at?