h20 turnover - Any Lakes Turning Over?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by lonny, Nov 3, 2008.

1. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az
    are any other of the lakes turning over like rosie.it is really stinks this week.like the jayjohns on the shorelines.rosie is getting a funky color,even the baitfish and the birds on the water are crazy acting.i checked some of the holes on the tonto creek this evening and they are funky colored with big chunks of moss floating on the top.

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Lonny, are you sure you're not just stirring up the flats. I still plan on going tomorrow or Thursday. It will only take one run of the clicker to make my evening! Probably a little chilly last evening?

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Pleasant and Bartlet should be turning soon.. Probably still a little too warm...
    ~A

4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    With the water cooling, Have you guys found that the flatheads respond better to cut bait, bluegill or carp heads after the water turns over. Do you always try and have a live bluegill out there year round.

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey Mike,
    Good point....

I have done real well with cut carp in the fall...

* But the last few trips it has only been blue gill to produce a bite.. Even baby carp did not work...

6. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az

get after um buddy,temps still awesome at lake,were still seeing rattlesnakes out and about.never have used cut bait much,always depend on my gills for the flats

7. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I second the motion for cut carp in late fall.

There are times when they will take nothing but big, bloody hunks of carp.

8. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    Few of us here in indiana went to monroe res. last weekend. we fished about 13 hrs total and only managed 1 small channel. nothing was biting anywhere on cut or live. the water here is changing colors also. got a green film all over the top. it was very difficult to catch bait even, our best luck came from a causeway pillar, thats where the channel came from too

9. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Lonny green valley lake in Payson has the moss discoloration. I not even sure the guys trout fishing are catching stockers right now, only 4 to 6 guys fishing. I had some time on wed. so i tried to catch bluegill. no bluegill in 45 min.. I will try cut carp next time out along with bluegill. Antonio, My coffee tastes bad after reading your suggestion, to early in the morning!:smile2:

10. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    When the carp are abundant a guy could fill a cooler with cut carp and freeze them for winter. Can you imagine hooking on a nice semi thawed gill/head section, those are my favorite anyway. It would seem the cut carp would work good in the cold water, they leave a really good sent being nice and oily and the flats wouldn't have to chase the chunk like it would with blue gill or green sunnies.

Of course this would mean you would have to take the time to do it. That's why God made kids they are just bait gettin machines. :wink:

11. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Haha, I knew they had to be good for something.

12. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    So Terry are you saying you have a freezer we can store our cut bait? I generally have 6 bluegill in my freezer along with other things. My wife will be happy to hear i have a place to keep more bait! thanks Mike

13. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    The fishing report that comes from the Arkansas Game and Fish said that Norfork Lake in north central Arkansas was turning over too. Water still high and they are still generating power from it. Was supposed to be down to normal pool about mid October. Hasn't happened yet!

14. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Mike I have never froze carp, I do have a freezer and I think it would be a good idea. If you had ziplock bags while fishing you could bag some chunks so they wouldn't funk up the cooler and bury them in the ice. When you would use them you could cast them semi thawd with the hook through the skin which would help keep them on. I just think the sent of an oily carp chunk would work really well when the flats are moving slower in cold water.

15. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    When the water is cold, you can still catch carp~ but it is much harder...

* In the summer time they will just bite and run and hook themselves.. But in the winter, the carps will just sit on the bait. So you need to be ontop of you line to set the hook as soon as they nibble..
    * You may need to keep your finger on the line to tell if they are biting..

* I have never used frozen bait... Usually the only bait I bring to the lake is a can of sweet corn and a few cups of worms..

* Later.